Fix the drill press sliding table?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bgstraughan
Bronze Member

Fix the drill press sliding table?

Post by bgstraughan »

Why hasn't ShopSmith fixed the drill press sliding table?
I've seen so many others have the same issue, yet as far as I can tell ShopSmith hasn't helped us out with the drill press table sliding down the way tubes, with even slight pressure from a drilling action! Maybe I've just not found the method of fixing this issue but it is extremely frustrating with the cost of this machine that ShopSmith hasn't helped us resolve the issue!

So if you know how to fix it, without buying something or cobbling together some pieces of wood items to wedge in place, please let me know?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Fix the drill press sliding table?

Post by chapmanruss »

I recall it being talked about before but it is not a problem I have had. I have even done mortises in drill press mode which requires more pressure than regular drilling. Maybe the locks on the carriage are worn and not able to hold the table in place against the drill pressure. Others may have more suggestions.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Carriage lock adjustment.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

JPG has it right but be careful only about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn at a time and then test again.
Bill V
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

For critical operations I use an adjustable stop the keep the carriage from being pushed downward.

When my carriage is inclined to slip I take it as an indication that maintenance is required on the carriage lock.
bgstraughan
Bronze Member

Post by bgstraughan »

Thanks everyone for your help. Problem fixed.
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

bgstraughan wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:12 pm Thanks everyone for your help. Problem fixed.
Howd you do that
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

We be speaking about a V 5x0 (x = 1 or 2).

The nut at the rear end will affect the tightness. Minimal adjustment is advised.

M5 folk merely need to mimmick a gorilla.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange