Chisels

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Chisels

Post by DaOldGuy »

I got some Shop Mate Chisels with my resent purchase of the Greenie and I have got a couple questions

The ones I got a really nice, in their vinyl sleeves. 555031-555037
Is there a decoder ring to understand what each of these are called?

When I was searching FeeBay for some additional, I noticed the only ones I seen list were 555026-555030.
This made me wonder, if there are so many of this batch for sale and none of the batch I have being sold, are the nice ones I have nice, since no one really uses them? Are the better tools the 26-30?

Sorry, that may be a tad hard to follow but its all I got, lacking knowledge of the tools :rolleyes:
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Chisels

Post by beeg »

Each chisel is called by size. The set is called by the type of chisel they are.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Skew, Gouge, Parting tool, Diamond point scraper, round nose scraper . . . . .
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Try the AAW website and look up their beginning section for woodturning. They have very good instructions on their site. https://www.woodturner.org/default.aspx
Bill V
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Oh THOSE kind of chisels.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

JPG wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:10 pm Skew, Gouge, Parting tool, Diamond point scraper, round nose scraper . . . . .
Beeg may or may not have said "Oh THOSE kind of chisels." :D

I took wood shop in High school 800 years ago and I had a blast on the Lathe. If we covered the different chisels, teen year party behavior wiped the memory.

Every video I have watched calls them by names JPG pointed out, just trying to map the numbers to the type of tools. I was hoping to find a web site that you can order and it has the number and name, but being these are old maybe its not a course that is followed any longer.

I will give the AAM site a look too.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:10 pm Skew, Gouge, Parting tool, Diamond point scraper, round nose scraper . . . . .
Also THOSE chisels come in various sizes. There are two types gouges,spindle roughing gouge and a bowl gouge

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

SS has offered many different lathe tools over the years. Sets have varied in what they contained. They have also offered specialty sets over the years. Having said that, lathe tool types are are pretty standard. Mostly determined by shape. Learn the shapes and what their name is. Then match that with what you have. Realize that the same tool (i.e. spindle gouge) comes in different sizes so will have a different SS number but it is still called by the same name.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

2 things.
I get the sizing differences for the same tools style, that makes sense. The ones that have a hook look like a slim jim to unlock a car however is confusing. :rolleyes:

I took a picture of something today that came with my SS collection. It looks like something I have seen, but I cannot sort it out on my own.
Any thoughts?
IMG_20220712_172228026.jpg
IMG_20220712_172228026.jpg (234.78 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

I just bought 555026-555030 on FeeBay so I have a expanded collection
feebay.jpg
feebay.jpg (203.11 KiB) Viewed 1745 times