Graphene Coating instead of JPW???

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Graphene Coating instead of JPW???

Post by RFGuy »

So, I have seen these "wonder" coatings off and on over the years. Usually I ignore them as most of them are marketing BS. This one (Carbon Method) caught my attention because it is supposed to be graphene based. Marc recently advertised this product on his channel after seeing A LOT of FB discussion about it. Has anyone tried this product? Any thoughts on switching to it for maintaining all table and tube surfaces? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using JPW as much as anyone on this forum, but I am also open to new solutions if there is a better product out there finally...The kit isn't exactly cheap, but if it works as good as they claim it does then it "might" be worth it.

https://carbonmethod.com/carbon-coating/

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Graphene Coating instead of JPW???

Post by garys »

I live by the old advice, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." Paste wax has done the job for decades and done it well so I'm not looking for something to fix it, especially with something more expensive.
But, I'm old so old advice works for me.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

To infinity, and beyond !

b
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I must say, that a while back I reduced my use of wax on metal-to-metal surfaces such as quill, ways, and rack/pinion gears. I was getting wax buildup that was hindering operation.

Such hindering buildup is inevitable because of dust combining with the wax. Buildup thus happens eventually no matter how little wax is used.

My growth Rings has a Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7yRjr06_Z0 that addresses this, and essentially his advice is to fold the applicator pad over such that less wax and more solvent (naptha) is applied. He also says to allow the solvent to dry before use, and then buff the (dry) wax.

For metal-to-wood interface surfaces (table, fence, fingerboards etc), I still lay the wax on thick. But actually I shouldn't do that because I have noticed some problems with the wax transferring to the wood and maybe causing later dye and varnish penetration problems.

I would be happy to find a dry and non-accumulating agent to replace paste wax - that actually worked. Maybe a home brew of wax + enough naptha to form a wipe-on liquid...

This carbon product above sounds too much like graphite. A mess. Plus they said it is an anti-rust for iron surfaces. Lubricity? Durability? Aluminum also? Wood Whisperer says he will report back. Let him spend the money...
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Marc proposed his use as a test. Why not wait until the end of the test to develop any opinion or change?
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Theres lot of choices for hydrophobic and oleophobic coatings out there for metals.

Its gonna take alot more than just a cursory scan of 1 product and the buzzwords "carbon" and "1 atom thick" to convince me its the right one.

Besides I still got like 3/4 can of JPWE to work thru :)

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:56 pm Marc proposed his use as a test. Why not wait until the end of the test to develop any opinion or change?
Ed,

Thanks. Well, I only take his feedback with a hefty grain of salt. Marc is a social media influencer, like so many others, so I tend to be highly skeptical whenever they suggest anything. Also, I give a greater weight to advice from other forum members here than to a social media influencer.

All,

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. I am certainly not knocking tried and true remedies and I definitely believe JPW is one of these. I have seen certain products try to move into this space over the years. Last good example in my mind is Boeshield T9, but I have seen as many complaints about it as I have seen recommendations. Fortunately there tend to be fewer cast iron surfaces in a Shopsmith shop, so fewer stains and rust spots to remove on our tools typically. I couldn't find more info on this Carbon Method product. I tried looking up the MSDS, but couldn't find it. IF I find more details, I will come back and post them. Just curious what alternative lubricants and particularly what rust preventatives other forum members find to be helpful. In my shop, I do selectively use graphite and Teflon dry film lubricant in addition to JPW and 3 in 1 machine oil...I keep meaning to use Penetrol for rust prevention, as has been suggested on this forum in the past, but I still haven't gotten around to it yet.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I picked up some dry teflon spray (PB B'Laster brand) for things like the speed control and carriage locks -- threaded things basically. It seems to work ok but the overspray makes a mess!

It might be ok on the way tubes but I think I'll stick with JPW.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Post by DaOldGuy »

Ceramic coating is another current buzz word product and folks are paying loads of cash having it put on their cars.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.