Coupler/Hub question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bondoboat wrote:That is correct. I bought the kit thinking it was what I needed. Neither one of the hubs was a 5-spline hub. Thanks for all of the responses.....BB

Those two hubs are intended to go on the Headstock.

The part number for the hub in question is 5035769. This Hub is called a Drive Hub and is used on the Strip Sander, Belt Sander, Thickness Planer and Bandsaw. Also called a Drive Hub is 503572 which is used on the Jointer and Scroll Saw (the Hub for the Scroll is also named Accessory Hub). These hubs all have five splines and should be mounted on the SPT and NEVER on the headstock.

The two Hubs that come as part of the Coupling Kit (555124) are the Spindle Hub (503570) and the Idler Hub (503738). These have four splines and are mounted on the Headstock (NOT the SPT). These hubs are also known as Headstock Hub and Machine Drive Hub and I don't know which is which.

Until this discussion, I did not NOT KNOW that the hub on my Jointer was unique in that it has a smaller diameter hole for the cutter head shaft.

As if the various names and numbers were not enough confusion, a part number search for 5035769 leads to a dead end ("Item Number 5035769 was not found."). A search for 503576 on the other hand brings up the profound statements "Alternate Item Number 5035769 - The following is an alternate for the item you searched for 5035769". It currently lists at $2.48 and is identified as Not Currently Available.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Easier Is Not Always Best

Post by JPG »

LIFE SURE WAS EASIER WHEN THE 'COUPLER KIT' WAS SOLD WITH ONE COUPLER AND 4 (FOUR) HUBS. THE FOUR HUBS WERE THE TWO CURRENTLY INCLUDED IN THE 'KIT', THE 5/8" SPT COUPLER USED ON EVERYTHING(?) BUT THE JOINTER AND JIG/SCROLL SAW AND THE 1/2" SPT COUPLER USED ON THEM.

THE CURRENT METHOD MAKES SENSE(BUY THE KIT I F YOU DO NOT ALREADY HAVE IT TO CONNECT TO A SPT THAT ALREADY HAS THE 'ONE' NEEDED; AND ONLY ORDER THE ONE NEEDED(IF YOU CAN FIGGER OUT OUT WHAT IT IS!) AND DO NOT ALREADY HAVE IT.

Refer to Dusty's previous post for a CLEAR explanation of what those pn's are.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

This IS the way that it WAS (1963)

Post by JPG »

[ATTACH]3292[/ATTACH]

AH the good old days!
Attachments
coupl kit.jpg
coupl kit.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange