Jigsaw old model - oil?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

glshopsmith
Bronze Member

Jigsaw old model - oil?

Post by glshopsmith »

Hello,

I have, what appears to be, an early model of the jigsaw. I have not used in in over 30 years. I think I figured out how to mount it. Got a manual via this forum. It seems to move OK when I manually turn it, but, when I turned it on for a second it made a terrible banging sound. I had it running at high speed. I see I should run at the slower speed. Probably needs oil, too.

Any advice on what I should disassemble/clean before using it?

What kind of oil should I get for the two oil spots on the jigsaw (top and bottom)?

I found some "plain" 5" scroll saw blades (single cut) at Fleet Farm, so, I think I have the right blades. It also says I can put a jigsaw blade into the bottom hold down post, so, I got a package of those.

Thanks.
Attachments
jigsaw.JPG
jigsaw.JPG (137.21 KiB) Viewed 295 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Jigsaw old model - oil?

Post by chapmanruss »

glshopsmith,

You have the later version of the Jig Saw for the Model 10's and depending on when it was made it is the A-34 Jig Saw Part Number 143-1X or 11 100. Do you have an Owner's Manual for it? It appears to be properly mounted but there is some adjustment that can be made with the two set screws, one on each side of the back near the pulley. This will be covered in the Manual. For oil a lightweight oil like 3 in 1 or the Zoom Spout Oiler works fine. A few drops in the oil fill hole and since it has not been used for some time, I would suggest removing the front cover and putting a couple drops on each of the moving parts inside there. While you have it open check the operation for any problems as you mentioned. It does run at a slower speed, so the banging may have been caused by running it too fast. 5" plain end Jig Saw Blades are correct. Make sure the upper arm parts move freely including the tension spring.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.