Help. What Are These Parts That Came With My SS 10E?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Help. What Are These Parts That Came With My SS 10E?

Post by chapmanruss »

The Wood Extension Table does look like it could be original based on the size in relationship to the Fence. In your pictures the Fence blocks seeing the mounting holes. I have some of the original Wood Extension Tables and they are not in good shape except one is in pretty good useable condition still. I have made several replacements. There were actually two versions of the Wood Extension Tables. The difference is the holes and how the wood is mounted to the bracket.

As for the color you paint your Shopsmith that is up to you. I am a traditionalist and paint my Model 10's Gray. I have seen pictures of ones painted other colors which are beautiful tools so make it your own and the color you like.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

JPG wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 am Your plywood extension table looks identical to my 10E. (except for the weathered part)

P.S. Your miter gauge looks third party.
I do think the table is original. The miter guage is for my Delta Rockwell saw though. I am getting in the habit of collecting good solid equipment that just needs some polishing.

I didn't get an SS miter guage with mine, i just got the extension table, fence, and saw guard. And the saw table, which is still in rough shape.
20220802_193707.jpg
20220802_193707.jpg (178.91 KiB) Viewed 963 times
20220802_193726.jpg
20220802_193726.jpg (179.32 KiB) Viewed 963 times
I did not get the sanding disc. I need to do an inventory from the packing list here on the forum to see what else may be missing.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:19 pm The Wood Extension Table does look like it could be original based on the size in relationship to the Fence. In your pictures the Fence blocks seeing the mounting holes. I have some of the original Wood Extension Tables and they are not in good shape except one is in pretty good useable condition still. I have made several replacements. There were actually two versions of the Wood Extension Tables. The difference is the holes and how the wood is mounted to the bracket.
Thanks again Russ, i really appreciate all the info. I do think this table could be original, it is in great shape aside from discoloration from age so I don't think it has seen as much use as the rest of the tool.

I spent some time going through the large format drawings and other goodies on Everett's google drive. What a fantastic collection of goodies. I think I will make the accessory wall rack for my SS extras. I have a solid Delta Rockwell table saw, and a good drill press. My SS didn't come with the sanding disk but I have lots of sanders. The lathe and boring features are what I am really going to put to use, so I may build a tool tray for my in-use chisels and gouges to mount on the extension table. I am also considering replacing the allen screws on the tool rest with appropriate handle bolts to speed up adjustments. I am very happy with the quality and stability of the lathe, I will likely add voltage controlled variable speed, and a 4 sided chuck for turning bowls.

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:19 pm As for the color you paint your Shopsmith that is up to you. I am a traditionalist and paint my Model 10's Gray. I have seen pictures of ones painted other colors which are beautiful tools so make it your own and the color you like.
Pictures coming soon, those darn almost flat letters on the badge were a challenge, i think I have it cleaned up now. I figure if I am the one that has to look at it, then it should give me a smile. Another 75 years from now some other guy or gal can take it back to grey.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Joel,

I can't remember if I recommended this link to you before in another thread. If not, I believe you would enjoy reading it. It is a thread I started titled Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where. It has a lot of information on not only the history but the changes in the tool and many accessories.

viewtopic.php?t=23647
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

Joel - I’m a little late to the party on this thread, but I recall unraveling a similar pile of parts on my recent 10-E restoration, and was also perplexed with the washers you show attached to #11 in your original photo.
Turns out, those go underneath the wing nuts that attach the extension table assembly to the tailstock.
ABA0341C-7A2D-472C-8DC5-BCC665BEB05F.jpeg
ABA0341C-7A2D-472C-8DC5-BCC665BEB05F.jpeg (439.58 KiB) Viewed 897 times
(And your plywood table looks to be original and similar to mine in my picture)
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Actually, the washers on the post, item #11 are not the washers that are used under the wing nuts to attach the Extension Table Bracket to the Tailstock. Those washers are flat washers but the ones on item #11 have the raised center commonly used on arbors but not Shopsmith OEM ones.

John's picture of the wood Extension Table is a good example of the later version. Below is a picture of the two different ways mounting holes were done for the Wood Extension Tables.

_
10E Wood Extension Table - both versions r.jpg
10E Wood Extension Table - both versions r.jpg (162.6 KiB) Viewed 879 times
The top one is the second type having smaller countersunk holes for mounting to the bracket like John's. The extra smallest holes were made by a previous owner for some reason. The bottom one is the early type having larger holes where the wood mounts to the bracket and bar to allow the hex bolt heads room. This one has screws holding it to the bar from the underside. This one has two extra countersunk holes made by a previous owner probably because the screw holes underneath stripped out making it loose on the bar. The second way, like John's above, of mounting the wood to the bar and bracket was much sturdier than the early mounting. These are in pretty bad condition and I have made replacements for them.
Russ

Mark V 520
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

jpdalton wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:04 am Turns out, those go underneath the wing nuts that attach the extension table assembly to the tailstock.
You are welcome to the party anytime John!

I like your idea, but i got those washers out and took a closer look and it appears Russ is correct, the hole is too big and the extrusion doesn't really make sense. I did find 2 additional smaller washers left in my goodie box that are a perfect fit, so you did wind up inadvertently solving that for me. Nice work.
20220804_205809.jpg
20220804_205809.jpg (234.67 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Either way I appreciate the feedback.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:03 pm Joel,

I can't remember if I recommended this link to you before in another thread. If not, I believe you would enjoy reading it. It is a thread I started titled Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where. It has a lot of information on not only the history but the changes in the tool and many accessories.

viewtopic.php?t=23647
Hi Russ, you did, and I spent an evening going through it. Fascinating read and it helped me understand where mine fits into the larger SS story.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:56 pm the ones on item #11 have the raised center commonly used on arbors but not Shopsmith OEM ones.
Yep, I think you have this right, and they are clearly not built for the arbors on the SS either -
20220804_205832.jpg
20220804_205832.jpg (120.19 KiB) Viewed 839 times
They are likely from some non SS tool that may have been bolted onto this SS at some point in history, or maybe just unrelated, dropped into the box, and went for a ride to my house 🤷‍♂️

The extension table isninteresting. Mine is drilled like the top example in the picture. One thing that is not making sense is the way the fence sits on the table.
20220804_205936.jpg
20220804_205936.jpg (297.91 KiB) Viewed 839 times
20220804_205942.jpg
20220804_205942.jpg (220.08 KiB) Viewed 839 times
20220804_205951.jpg
20220804_205951.jpg (253.13 KiB) Viewed 839 times
There is a small foot on the end of the fence that makes it sit unevenly on the table. That seems uncharacteristic for this well thought out tool. Am i missing some spacers or something that would level out the fence?
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There is nothing wrong with your Fence or your wood Extension Table, it's just how the fence is made. All the Model 10E first version Fences (ones without a rear lock) I have owned are the same as yours. Below is a picture of one of mine sitting on a recreation wood Extension Table. It sits the same way as yours does. When mounted on the Main Table the Fence Base (P/N 107-1) attached to the Fence Bar (P/N 103-6) keeps the gap at the infeed side too. I don't know the reason for it but that could explain the design with the gap even over the Main Table. This does make the outfeed end of the Fence sit slightly higher than the infeed end of the Fence when on the wood Extension Table. This is not a problem while it is in use.

_
10E Fence on Wood Extension Table.jpg
10E Fence on Wood Extension Table.jpg (136.03 KiB) Viewed 806 times
One downside of using the Fence on the Wood Extension Table is you have to align it every time you use it. You can have it very close with an initial alignment of the Table to the Bracket and Bar to the Extension Pins (double ended threaded posts) but there is still a little wiggle room there. Magna made the Metal Extension Upgrade available to existing 10E owners which was better for change overs not having to check alignment each time using the Fence on the metal Extension Table. One of the Model 10E's I have restored came with that upgrade along with the original wood Extension Table parts.

As for those raised center washers, I have had many non Shopsmith parts included with the Shopsmith's I have purchased including non Shopsmith Arbors.
Russ

Mark V 520