Maintenance/Installation Videos

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

I asked a question on another SS forum and thought I'd offer a suggestion here to SS. For newbies, green peas and us totally non-mechanical types I think you'd really help your community if you'd offer videos of maintenance/repair/installation procedures. Manuals really don't give us non-mechanical types a reference that is easily understood. I know from going through my new manual I continually have to go back to the numbered parts to see what the heck is being referenced. Drawings really don't do a good enough job of showing what's being discussed. Pictures are better but not as good as a video that actually shows exactly what is being talked about and where it is in relation to everything else on the machine.
I'll give you a very successful example. A Honda Goldwing rider got so frustrated with the technical manuals put out by Goldwing and Fullmer that he produced 8 videos of maintenance and repair functions. From oil changes/ tire change to setting the valves, everything that an owner could easily do he had on dvd. It was a fantastic success and riders like me, who are not mechanically inclined, saw the physical location and the steps to do the functions. I ran and re-ran the videos until I felt I knew exactly where and what I was supposed to do and then went and tried it. I had all the manuals for years and tried to do some functions but never felt confident that what I was doing was correct and just knowing where these items were on the bike was a huge benefit. He sold the videos for $89.00 and had to do a number of reruns. I think you'd attract more people like me who are really not good mechanically but want to participate. I know most of your competitors would be green with envy if you did and you'd have a great addition to your traveling schools (I'm going Mar.12,13). If SS doesn't want to do it how about one of you experts out there??
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

Putttn: I for one understand exactly what you are saying. When I had to replace the control sheave, the instructions didn't make complete sense until Nick posted pictures on the site. I'm sure the person that wrote the instructions understood exactly what they were saying, but as my wife would say, what she is saying and what I'm hearing are two different things. A video would be great, but if nothing else a link to check out pictures would be a big help.
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Maintenance Videos

Post by dusty »

puttn

When you get to the Traveling Academy, please make sure that your instructor is aware of your need for "Shopsmith Maintenance Videos". I believe that Rick will be very supportive of your position and he just might be able to help you.

Incidently, please take some notes for the forum. We are looking forward to hearing how it went.

Post by putttn »

I'm really looking forward to the school. If there was a member of this forum who was good with a video camera and was confident of his/her abilities with the SS they could also make a video. That's what the Goldwing owner did and it was kind of funny when his camera fell off the stand a couple of times. It sure was a success for him.
gsm1cox
Bronze Member

Post by gsm1cox »

yes i too agree that videos would be great, but i dont think it will happen, they want you to go to the traveling schools, and spend money that way.
the first day of the 3 day school is all set up and alingment of the shopsmith
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

I think SS is missing a big opportunity to get more newbies to their product by not producing a video. I will go to the school and learn from it, but I sure would like a video of what I learned. I can see myself trying to remember how to do this or that and the only thing I can do is look at any notes I made or hope I remember what he was doing. If I'm taking notes I'm not as observant. That's just me, but I feel there are many out there like me who don't have much mechanical knowledge but would like to participate. If they followed up by offering a video of the techniques taught at school, they'd find that many of the owners would stick with the SS and not get discouraged and sell them. Also, accessory sales would increase and they would have a great advertising advantage over the competition. I think it would help their traveling schools rather than hurt the school. If the school was expensive then I'd agree, but the schoold is already a bargain.
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Puttin

I agree with you that it would be great if SS offered a video of what you are shown at the traveling academies. I have gone to them several times now and a picture would be worth a thousand words. I always take as many notes as I can, but pictures to look back at would be very beneficial. When Doug Reid was teaching he had asked our group what we felt about a video and the response was pretty unanimous in favor of one. I am going to my next academy the end of this month and will make that suggestion know to the instructor. Also I don't think that a video would cause a reduction in academies enrollments, as you still always pick up new knowledge every time you go as well as some really good discounts that are not normally available anywhere else. Plus you meet other SS owners that you may otherwise never know.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

If anyone is looking for a set-up video for the shopsmith I noticed one on ebay. Look up number 130085241959. No I'm not selling it nor do I know who is but I do remember seeing these and a lot of other videos done by shopsmith in the old catalogs. This might have been a case of been there done that for them and they found it wasn't worth it????

Ed
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

And FWIW, JLewis is a decent and honest reseller. Good ebayer to work with.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

What all does this show/go into?