Heads up - Double tilt and lift assist

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Heads up - Double tilt and lift assist

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

I just completed the Double Tilt upgrade on my MkV 520 with Power Pro, so I guess I can call it a Mk7. :)
I also have the Power Pro Lift Assist fitted.
I'd loosened the locking screw on the right side and was testing the tilt (not the normal drill press tilt) when I realised that I'd left the Lift Assist gas strut still connected! DO NOT EVER DO THIS!!!
The result was that as the right end started to raise, the force of the gas strut made the assembly twist sideways and although the left side locking screw had previously been tightened and checked, the sideways twist made the screw jump free of the left side cross bar. This resulted in both end of the Way Tubes and tilt mechanisms springing loose of the bases. The entire Way Tube/Headstock and Carriage was then being supported at an angle by the gas strut.
I managed to gently push both ends down and lock them, but the top of the gas strut had a slight bend in it, which I was fortunate enough to straighten out without lasting damage.
I've learned a valuable lesson - don't have a senior moment and concentrate on what you're doing and never attempt the left side tilt with the List Assist gas strut connected! ☹️
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Heads up - Double tilt and lift assist

Post by DLB »

I'm glad to hear that there was no serious damage to man or equipment! I've had an unrelated instance in which the DT Base Arm lock mechanism was defeated and Way Tubes and all attached came free of the base. I learned an important lesson, it does not take that much force to pop the lock on the DT Base.

- David
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

Thanks for the heads up on that. I’ve bought a used lift assist for my piece together
Power Por Mark 7. I’ve got to put it and the two sided table posts on the Mark 7.

Glad things turned out good for you on your mishap, good Luke too you.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm thinking of selling the lift assist and double tilt I acquired on a used machine. I should rarely need a lift assist since I have a dedicated drill press and a shorty that can do under table sanding. I prefer a router table for under table routing and shaping. Otherwise the double tilt isn't much use, and on top of that you don't want to leave SPTs mounted when tilting. So the lift assist problem reported in this thread is just another strike against its use.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

wurlitzerwilly wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:44 pm The result was that as the right end started to raise, the force of the gas strut made the assembly twist sideways and although the left side locking screw had previously been tightened and checked, the sideways twist made the screw jump free of the left side cross bar. This resulted in both end of the Way Tubes and tilt mechanisms springing loose of the bases. The entire Way Tube/Headstock and Carriage was then being supported at an angle by the gas strut.
Sorry this happened to you. Honestly I would try the lift assists out and decide if you want to keep them or not (always seem to be in position and in the way during operation). I know some forum members love these lift assists. I don't own either, but that doesn't mean that I haven't tried them on another machine. Shopsmith makes both a table lift assist (drill press mode) and a headstock/waytube lifting lift assist. I don't own a PowerPro, so if I did I might change my mind because of the weight. However, I really don't care for either of the lift assists that Shopsmith sells. IF I bought a used machine with one, I'd likely remove them myself. I really liked the way the Smithy Super Shop (not Shopsmith product) had a built in lift assist mechanism in the base. I believe Shopsmith had a missed opportunity when they designed the double tilt bases. I would have liked to have seen a similar torsion spring setup (internal to the double tilt base) that would have made lifting the headstock/waytubes into vertical position easier. Possibly patents got in the way of Shopsmith doing something similar to Smithy.

Below is a link if anyone wants to know more about the Super Shop torsion spring lift assist:

viewtopic.php?p=279856#p279856
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

I don't have a dedicated drill press and I believe that the Shopsmith drill press is far superior to most. I've not see any other drill press where the table can be tilted and it matches up with other functions that use the table.
For routing I do prefer my Incra table and positioner but for larger shaping I have the entire set of shaper cutters which gives me superior variety.
My main reason for the main lift assist is due to the weight of the unit and the neck surgery I had 3 years ago, which doesn't allow me to move anything heavy and in fact the jointer and bandsaw are a bit of a nightmare, so I'm trying to design a winch system to carry the weight for me. I do have the drill press lift assist, but I've not fitted it yet.
I do see the issues with the main lift assist. Needing to disconnect the gas strut in order to use the opposite tilt is a PITA and of course you lose some underside storage/cabinet space due to the lift assist arm. If I can find a way to manage without the lift assist, I will remove it.