New guy. Lurker. Stealer of Shopsmith knowledge.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JCorr1975
Silver Member

New guy. Lurker. Stealer of Shopsmith knowledge.

Post by JCorr1975 »

I guess at some point you gotta quit hiding in the shadows. Forums like this are why I haven’t turned my back on the internet yet. Hello all. Bought me a cheap 10er and down the rabbit hole I went. I’ll post my progress as soon as I know where to do that. Is there a specific thread for restorations? You know, the first thing I thought when I found this forum was why in the heck would you own more than one of these? So many on here own a pile of them! My answer came quickly when I started sourcing parts. Why spend 70 bucks on a tool rest when you can buy a whole new machine with that part for the same price? So now I am the owner of two 10ers. Mystery solved. Wife peeved.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New guy. Lurker. Stealer of Shopsmith knowledge.

Post by JPG »

Welcome. You have already started thy thread. Keep us posted and ask whatever is necessary.

However starting one in the maintenance/repair rather then here in community would be more appropriate.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New guy. Lurker. Stealer of Shopsmith knowledge.

Post by chapmanruss »

JCorr1975,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum and I am glad you decided to come out of the shadows. Since you have been looking around here for a while you know there are several reasons for some of us to have more than one Shopsmith Tool. For myself I have found I enjoy restoring these wonderful tools as much as using them. Mostly I have restored Model 10's but also Mark series tools and SPT's like the Jointers and Bandsaws. The most recent restoration I finished is a Mark 2 from the late 1950's.

Since you have two Model 10ER's you could consider making one a dedicated Drill Press (a popular use for a second tool) which will not need some of the accessories you may be missing. Make something nice for your wife with your Shopsmith and she may come to like your new finds. I hope you enjoy your Model 10ER's and do keep us posted on your progress.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.