Bandsaw Bearing Retro-Kit

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

otee453
Gold Member

Bandsaw Bearing Retro-Kit

Post by otee453 »

I have an older (cast iron table) bandsaw, which is seemingly in near new condition. My only complaint was the gosh awful squealing from the 3 roller guide bushings. Each session where I used the saw I would have to hit the guides with a shot of spray oil, which then collected sawdust. Something I hated.

Anyhow, SS just put their retro kit (555074) on sale for $18 and change. All I can say is WOW!!!!! My bandsaw has never sounded so good!

The kit is well worth the money and is super easy to put on. It essentially is just sealed bearings and new bolts that replace the old bushings (which look like somewhat like bearings but are not). I understand that the bearings do wear out after reading other posts, but I can live with that and will just consider them "consumable" parts.

If you have the cast iron table bandsaw, get this kit. It is well worth the money, even at regular price.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Good to hear (read), Otee!!:)

P.S. Welcome to the Forum - If your Dad is jealous, maybe you'll let him use the bandsaw? BTW, What part of the world do you call home? You can put it in your signature block in your profile.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

otee453 wrote:I have an older (cast iron table) bandsaw, which is seemingly in near new condition. My only complaint was the gosh awful squealing from the 3 roller guide bushings. Each session where I used the saw I would have to hit the guides with a shot of spray oil, which then collected sawdust. Something I hated.

Anyhow, SS just put their retro kit (55074) on sale for $18 and change. All I can say is WOW!!!!! My bandsaw has never sounded so good!

The kit is well worth the money and is super easy to put on. It essentially is just sealed bearings and new bolts that replace the old bushings (which look like somewhat like bearings but are not). I understand that the bearings do wear out after reading other posts, but I can live with that and will just consider them "consumable" parts.

If you have the cast iron table bandsaw, get this kit. It is well worth the money, even at regular price.
Thats 555074?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
otee453
Gold Member

Post by otee453 »

fixed.......
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

otee453 wrote:fixed.......
Thanks, and Topeka is a good place! Hopefully now you may find some nearby SS users.

Best Wishes!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
toolcollector
Silver Member

Post by toolcollector »

Good to here the bearings are such an improvement, as I just ordered them also. Also ordered the urethane tires as the tire on my idler wheel came off - the rubber was cracking and old. Unfortunately, the tires are apparently on backorder, so my band saw is out-of-service until whenever.
'83 500/520, '54 500 Greenie, Shopsmith Power Station, Planner, Jointer, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Lathe Duplicator, Router Table, Dust Collector & Dewalt Dual Compound Sliding Miter Saw.