Just Finished My First Shopsmith Project

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigAl
Gold Member

Re: Just Finished My First Shopsmith Project

Post by BigAl »

Thanks, Russ! I got the construction idea from an old 1950s hi-fi cabinet I bought at a thrift shop back in the 1980s. I also built a nightstand that way back in the '90s. We still use the nightstand as well. It's sturdy too. The nightstand and end table could probably double as jack stands when I work on my car. ;-)
1982 Mk V upgraded to a 510.
Gray SS scroll saw, SS Jointer, SS bandsaw
Inherited WWII vintage Atlas/Craftsman drill press
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Very Nice!!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

That's a very nice piece of furniture. You should give yourself a pat on the back. :)
BigAl
Gold Member

Post by BigAl »

Thanks again for the kind words!

My Shopsmith seems to have developed a slight scraping noise related to the fan sheave. Looking at some posts in the maintenance section of the forum, I think it might be time for some disassembly and maybe adding a thin washer behind the sheave.

Then on to the next project . . .
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

BigAl,

There have been posts about that problem which is usually the fixed fan/sheeve on the motor shaft loosening enough to slip back against the motor housing. Sorry I don't have a link for you.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

QWERTYUIOP wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:52 am Gratitude for the caring answers! I think it ended up good overall. The top is somewhat not the same as I anticipated. I wanted to simply adjust the top and base edges a little yet the switch bit sneaked through the collet and cut pretty profound. I have 40 year old switch with a to some degree corroded collet nut. When I tidied up the collet, I just proceeded the more profound cut. It looks okay like that yet I may ultimately make another top for it. The stain looks sort of smudged in the photograph yet better face to face. i am new user in this forums. Please help me!
First time poster. This is a direct partial re-post from the original poster BigAl. Reported as SPAM.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:12 pm
QWERTYUIOP wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:52 am Gratitude for the caring answers! I think it ended up good overall. The top is somewhat not the same as I anticipated. I wanted to simply adjust the top and base edges a little yet the switch bit sneaked through the collet and cut pretty profound. I have 40 year old switch with a to some degree corroded collet nut. When I tidied up the collet, I just proceeded the more profound cut. It looks okay like that yet I may ultimately make another top for it. The stain looks sort of smudged in the photograph yet better face to face. i am new user in this forums. Please help me!
First time poster. This is a direct partial re-post from the original poster BigAl. Reported as SPAM.
From an IP in Multan, Pakistan.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BigAl
Gold Member

Post by BigAl »

jsburger wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:12 pm

Wow, the text above was certainly not from me. It looks like someone sent one of my posts through a translation program and back again. Pakistan is certainly a long way from where I am. Yep, it's time to change my password.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Change password ?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange