Just Finished My First Shopsmith Project

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigAl
Gold Member

Just Finished My First Shopsmith Project

Post by BigAl »

I made a maple end table. I only used my recently acquired 1980's Shopsmith equipment for my stationary power tools . . . my Mk V table saw, disc sander, drum sander, drill press, jointer and bandsaw. I was thinking about using the lathe to make my own knobs, but I didn't have the right stock on hand and ordering wood knobs seemed a lot easier.

I hadn't done any furniture building for better than 20 years. I think it turned out okay.
Attachments
IMG-1108.jpg
IMG-1108.jpg (134.27 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Last edited by BigAl on Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1982 Mk V upgraded to a 510.
Gray SS scroll saw, SS Jointer, SS bandsaw
Inherited WWII vintage Atlas/Craftsman drill press
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Just Finished My First Shopsmith Project

Post by edma194 »

Looks great! Looks like the top came out very well.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

That is a Great job for your first project with the new ShopSmith. Can't wait to see the next one.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Looks great to me!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Very nice!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Looks Good to me!

Looking forward to more.

John
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Looks great!
Tip: a coat of shellac and a very very light sanding will prevent maple from botching when staining.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think you have received a unanimous vote!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigAl
Gold Member

Post by BigAl »

Thanks for the kind replies! I think it turned out okay. The top is a little different than I planned for. I planned to just round the top and bottom edges a little but the router bit slipped in the collet and cut pretty deep. I have 40 year old router with a somewhat rusty collet nut. Once I cleaned up the collet, I just went ahead with the deeper cut. It looks alright that way but I may eventually make a new top for it. The stain looks kind of blotchy in the photo but better in person.

For anyone interested, it wasn't made with traditional joinery. The case isn't really frame-and-panel construction. (The door is.) It's actually a grooved, glued and screwed 1/2" Baltic birch plywood box with 1/4" thick strips of maple glued to the outside to simulate frame and panel and hide the screws. I resawed some maple boards on the bandsaw and used the drum sander as a thickness sander to make the strips. I think it looks pretty convincing and the whole unit is quite strong.
Attachments
IMG-0939.jpg
IMG-0939.jpg (168.12 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Last edited by BigAl on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1982 Mk V upgraded to a 510.
Gray SS scroll saw, SS Jointer, SS bandsaw
Inherited WWII vintage Atlas/Craftsman drill press
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

BigAl,

It came out great and if you hadn't told us, it would be hard to tell the construction without looking inside. Well done.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.