Mark VII a start and a long ways to go..

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII a start and a long ways to go..

Post by JPG »

De Nada - Key being carried by the snail.

BTW SNAKES slither. Snails walk on hairs.IIRC
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

LOL. I buy the snake slitherin around but not so sure about snails walkin on hair. Thank you either way:-)
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mike wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:36 pm LOL. I buy the snake slitherin around but not so sure about snails walkin on hair. Thank you either way:-)
Well I looked it up and they do not use cilia to move. Instead they use slime and a funky foot muscle movement.

With a little luck the snail should arrive today.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:16 am
Mike wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:36 pm LOL. I buy the snake slitherin around but not so sure about snails walkin on hair. Thank you either way:-)
Well I looked it up and they do not use cilia to move. Instead they use slime and a funky foot muscle movement.

LOL, gotta love this place.
Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

miken wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:06 pm
JPG wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:16 am

LOL, gotta love this place.
Mike -
It’s a good place but the poor snail has to walk with one foot… even a slimy foot would be pretty difficult, gonna have to think about that for awhile…..ok I’m done
Hers a pic of some powder coated parts going together, still figuring out if the caster is going to work or if I need modifications, maybe some slime… also added the before pic
Attachments
E4F4072C-FFE2-426E-88A1-72B024EF75F6.jpeg
E4F4072C-FFE2-426E-88A1-72B024EF75F6.jpeg (391.52 KiB) Viewed 932 times
3D8A91F6-1A2F-4484-868A-57D85BE079FE.jpeg
3D8A91F6-1A2F-4484-868A-57D85BE079FE.jpeg (471.9 KiB) Viewed 930 times
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:17 pm . . . still figuring out if the caster is going to work . . .
Mike, I had some issues with casters on my Mark VII. I originally didn't have any, but after a year of watching ebay I found a complete set. The problem for me was the wheels that came with the set would hit the inside area of the frame rails when it would swivel. I was able to relocate the wheel center closer to the rotation axis. If interested see here: viewtopic.php?t=27097

Before I found a set, with the levers and cams that can lift the machine, I built my own version that worked surprisingly well. You may find it interesting here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25392&p=283521#p283521

Mike
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Thanks Mike, I went through those but I need something a little different so I’m trying a wider body caster. I used info from this forum and am trying this https://www.casterdepot.com/shepherd/c0 ... google.com
Not sure who the info came from but when I find it I will make sure they get credit.
I’m going to do some modifications that will probably increase weight by 100-200#, still working things through my pea brain, but need something a little more heavy duty. I think I’m having some of the same issues you had but need to install and try out a few things
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:58 pm . . .am trying this https://www.casterdepot.com/shepherd/c0 ... google.com
That looks like a very good selection as it appears the "swivel rotation" is close to 3/8". Yes, please report back if they swivel without interference. I may get a set myself.

Mike -
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 2" swivel radius is the deciding factor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Hi Mike,
A couple of thoughts. I've noticed on mine that there is a little slop between the lower horizontal rails and the end caps making the SS wobble slightly when working. If you are going to add weight and maybe doing more heavy duty work it maybe more noticable. I thought about tack welding the endcaps to the rails but didn't want to damage my paint. Since you have already painted yours that's out anyway.

Also, for heavier work you may want to investigate a used SuperShop. They are similar to a Shopsmith, 250# heavier and along with woodwork, they are good for light to medium duty metalwork. Around my shop, about 40% of the work I do is metalwork. I never heard of a SuperShop before 3 yrs ago; didn't know much about Shopsmiths 6yrs ago. I probably would never have gotten my SSMKVII if I known about SuperShop but I'm keeping my MKVII cause it's just plain cool. :)
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer