Lower Saw Guard & Riving Knife

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wgander
Gold Member

riving knife

Post by wgander »

It looks like the lower blade guard is bent, as though it were lying flat and weight was applied to the spindle mounting area, forcing the mounting area in, towards the center. I think the surface closest to the headstock should be flat and perpendicular to the spindle. Photos 7,1144,1146 show the center pushed in closer to the blade and both the front and rear to be angled out, towards the head stock.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

colday; I am almost convinced that your original diagnosis was correct. It is hard to believe that the casting is malformed but your total set of photos is rather convincing (or confusing).

Before viewing your last post, I took some photos of my own.

I took the plastic shield off so that I could better view the riving knife with respect to the casting. BTW The riving knife shown is a homemade version to be used when I do not want the upper saw guard in place (when cutting bevels).
Attachments
P2110018.JPG
P2110018.JPG (141.72 KiB) Viewed 13716 times
P2110019.JPG
P2110019.JPG (153.16 KiB) Viewed 13712 times
P2110020.JPG
P2110020.JPG (150.28 KiB) Viewed 13706 times
P2110022.JPG
P2110022.JPG (129.92 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
P2110023.JPG
P2110023.JPG (151.63 KiB) Viewed 13701 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

A continuation:
Attachments
P2110008.JPG
P2110008.JPG (161.34 KiB) Viewed 13699 times
P2110009.JPG
P2110009.JPG (141.1 KiB) Viewed 13689 times
P2110014.JPG
P2110014.JPG (136.48 KiB) Viewed 13688 times
P2110015.JPG
P2110015.JPG (138.19 KiB) Viewed 13685 times
P2110019.JPG
P2110019.JPG (153.16 KiB) Viewed 13698 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

colday wrote:With the guard pulled out precariously close to falling off, the center point is aligned - but now the mid sawing point is horribly aligned.
You want to have the lower guard all the way on. I agree with the earlier poster that the lower guard looks bent.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

GASP!!!!:eek: Dusty took a picture with REAL SAWDUST :D included!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
colday
Gold Member

Post by colday »

Thanks Dusty for the pics.

I will try to get one off eBay, if that does'nt pan out, I'll just order one from Shopsmith.

In the mean time I will be as safe as I can, YIKES! I will also tear it down & attempt at getting it close to straight.

I will order the entire unit, who knows when I will need spare parts? :D

Oh, and a big thanks to all who spent the time researching & posting - this group is as good as the old Ryobi forums! :rolleyes:

Steve
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

colday wrote:...The budget officer & the LOML has authorized the purchase of a new Lower Guard (as this IS a safety item), but I do not want to spend the $ just to find that it IS me.

Thanks!

Now for a little info...

I've been a Shopsmith fan since my good buddy Wayne bought his back in the 80s. I've had my heart on a new unit, but just could not get the price point past the LOML. She finally agreed on a used one! So, as not to miss the window of oppertunity I jumped on the first good looking unit off Craigslist....
Thanks a lot Steve!! Now my wife says I must refer to her on this forum as LOML instead of SWMBO! She asked me what LOML meant and when I told her, she thought that the term was more to her liking. :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Looked at all the photos two or three times. Yep- looks like the lower saw guard is bent/warped. If it were mine, I'd try to straighten it.

There is a horizontal strip of aluminum near the bottom of the part. Its side is supposed to be firm to the headstock side of the guard. I think it's purpose is to stabilize the plastic in the guard. Perhaps the guard was bent and at the same time a piece of wood got wedged between this horizontal piece and the side of the guard? If so this could cause the bend.

Wishing you good luck and stay safe!

P.S. Thanks for teaching the LOML reference.:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
colday
Gold Member

Post by colday »

I plan to tear it completely down later tonight & see what I can do.

Yeah, when I first saw the LOML reference my wife also loved that term. Whatever helps get me tool buying points I will use! ;)

Now Tim you have one on me... Just what is the SWMBO?
Thanks a lot Steve!! Now my wife says I must refer to her on this forum as LOML instead of SWMBO! She asked me what LOML meant and when I told her, she thought that the term was more to her liking.

Got some work done to the wall today, whew! You would not think just adding an outlet above a cabinet would be that much fun! I'm at the end of adding a separating wall between the kitchen & dinning room project. Put the cabinets back up once the paint is dry, put in under cabinet lighting (reason for the outlet), wall paper & wainscot the other side & it should be a wrap!

Steve
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

colday wrote:...Now Tim you have one on me... Just what is the SWMBO?...
She Who Must Be Obeyed. So, as long as I obey her and use the Love Of My Life acronym, I will be good.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.