Mark 2 Help

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spencer2598
Bronze Member

Mark 2 Help

Post by Spencer2598 »

Hi everyone, I just got a Mark 2 from my Uncle last weekend. I think almost everything is there except the motor, mount, and pulley (and the belts). He said they were stollen several years ago and he never bothered replacing them. From what I’ve read, I know this isn’t really a good model but I don’t do much woodworking and this used to belong to my Great-Grandfather, so it would be nice to get it up and running. Does anyone have or know where I could get the parts I’m missing?? Thanks in advance!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 2 Help

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Spencer2598,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. I can help with any information about the Mark 2. That was my last Shopsmith restoration which is shown below. The picture does not show all the items that were included when new.

_
85959 Restored.jpg
85959 Restored.jpg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Since they were not very popular, parts for them are not as commonly found as those for the Mark 5/V or Model 10E and 10ER. The motor was a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor which does not have to be a specific brand. There is currently the Apron the motor mount attaches to with the motor mount for sale on ebay at the link below. Since parts don't come up very often, I included the link in case you are interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284690972323?h ... 1iKDOD[url][/url]

The Mark 2 uses a set of 2 two step pulleys, one is 2" and 3" while other is 3" and 4" both with a 5/8" bore. Originally the pulleys came with a 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD sleeve for use on motors with a 1/2" shaft. The belt is a 3L340 size which is less common than a 4L belt but still can be found.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spencer2598
Bronze Member

Post by Spencer2598 »

Hey Chapmanruss,

That’s great to know it doesn’t really matter what motor I get. I found some for a little under $200 which I think would be reasonable. I’m still a little confused on how it mounts. I have the Apron but not the mount that is in the pictures of the listing. Is there anyway you could get a couple pictures of how everything mounts up? Or a detailed description? Normally I could make sense of theses things but since I’ve never been around one I’m a little confused yet. I think part of my problem is there is another listing for a motor mount for a Mark 2 but I don’t see how it goes with the mount of the Apron. Also, I’ve done a little looking and haven’t found a place that has the 3” and 4” pulley, I have the other one.

If I’m able to get this running, I know I’ll have a lot of questions!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The other listing for a motor mount is not a Mark 2 part but is the mounting bracket for a specific motor. The picture below is a motor mounted on the Mark 2 bracket. The bracket is attached to the Apron and note the motor mounts only by one side with two bolts. The curved part goes up into the Headstock to the motor height adjustment to raise and lower the motor for belt changes. Sorry it is so dusty, but this was taken as it was being disassembled for a previous post.

_
Mark 2 motor and mounting.jpg
Mark 2 motor and mounting.jpg (145.02 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Not just any motor can fit the Mark 2 as the mounting attached to the motor and how much the shaft protrudes is important. The motor shaft needs to lineup in the correct place for the motor pulley and the Headstock pulley to align. A motor that is too large in diameter will not fit. It needs to be a 1725 RPM motor. The motor in the picture above is a Powr-Kraft from Montgomery Ward and I have a Magna motor made by GE that is on the restored Mark 2 in my previous post. I do have a second Mark 2 yet to be restored.

Do you have a copy of the Owner's Manual and the Parts List with drawings for the Mark 2? The parts list with drawings will help you understand how it all goes together and what is included. The Owner's Manual will help with operations and gives some assembly information.

As I said in my previous post the Mark 2 was not a very popular Shopsmith and Mark 2 specific parts are harder to find. There is some good news though as Mark 5/V parts/assemblies can be substituted for some things. A Mark 5/V Headstock can replace the Mark 2 Headstock. The Mark 5/V Carriage and Table system can replace the Mark 2's which is something I am considering for the other one I have to restore because of damage. One of the common missing parts when purchasing a Mark 2 is the Tailstock. It is a small clamp on part that goes on the Extension Bar (table) shown below. A Mark 5/V Tailstock can be used as a replacement. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

_
Tailstock - front.jpg
Tailstock - front.jpg (165.3 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spencer2598
Bronze Member

Post by Spencer2598 »

That is definitely starting to make sense. I have found a motor that sounds like it fits the requirements. It looks like it is 12.5” long and about 8” across. Now, if I can come up with a pulley, I’ll probably go ahead and order the mount and motor and see if this thing will work.

Unfortunately, I do not have the Owner’s Manual or Parts List. Either of those would make this much easier. I’ll also have to look about the tailstock, I know most everything else is there but I haven’t tried to change how it’s set up yet so I might find a couple things missing. Any lead on where to get a pulley?
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Everett Davis has restored and placed a copy of the Mark 2 Owner's Manual on his Google Drive. You can access it thru the "sticky" post near the top of the Maintenance and Repair Forum
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The link below is for the topic Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and more that can be found at or near the top of the Maintenance and Repair section. Everett has restored many documents for our use that can be found on his google drive at the link on that page. A restored Mark 2 Manual can be found there. Although it doesn't have the complete parts list and drawings the Headstock one is there.

viewtopic.php?t=16113

I do have JPG file copies of the individual pages of the Parts List and Drawings but they are too large to post here. You can PM me and we can set up a way to get them to you if you need copies.

If you have not seen it yet there is a thread I did covering my Mark 2's completed restoration. You can find it at the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=29245

The motors I have from my Mark 2's, both the Montgomery Ward Powr-Kraft and the made for Magna by GE are about 6-1/2" in diameter not including the welded-on mount and capacitor cover, about 10-1/2" long with about 2" of that being the shaft. *8" in diameter may be too big.

There is another option for the pulley if you cannot get a 3L 2 step pulley. You could use a pair of the pulleys that were used on the Model 10E and 10ER for the motor pulley. They are a 3 step Pulley having 2", 3" and 4" steps and would use the more commonly found 4L340 belt. This will mean not being able to use the Belt Cover if you have a useable one. The link below is a company that sells pulleys but you could find a couple of them for sale on ebay for less than their new price. The price has tripled since I bought some for Model 10 restorations 7 years ago.

https://www.zoro.com/congress-58-or-12- ... ended=true

The Speed Chart below will give you the different pulley speeds used for the Mark 2 and are the same as the Model 10's that this chart was created for. Unfortunately, the chart for the Mark 2 was a sticker inside the Belt Cover so if the cover is missing you don't have a chart.
Table of Speeds Model 10s.pdf
(182.91 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
I don't know where you are located but there is a Mark 2 that just came up for sale on craigslist in Tacoma WA for $75. It is listed as a working unit, so it has the Motor, Mounting Bracket and Pulley you need plus there may be additional parts you could use. If you're not close to this one check out ads near you to see what may be available in your area. It could be cheaper to buy a semi-complete Mark 2 over buying the individual parts you need.
Russ

Mark V 520
Spencer2598
Bronze Member

Post by Spencer2598 »

I downloaded the user manual (that will be very helpful!) and have gotten lucky. I found one for sale close to me that I can take the parts off and make one complete one out of it. Also, I remember to look today and I do have the tailstock. I think between the two I should be able to have a complete Mark 2!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Great News!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Spencer2598,

Glad to hear you have the Tailstock part. The second Mark 2 hopefully gets you everything you need and then some. It wasn't the one I saw for sale in Tacoma WA, was it? If either of the Mark 2's you now have are the ones with metal bench tubes as opposed to the wood ones I would use the metal bench tubes but that's just my preference. I do understand this belonged to your Great Grandfather and you would probably like to keep it as original as possible.

If either Mark 2 happens to have the Retractable Casters that would be a big plus as they help keep the legs in place besides making it easier to move around. The Retractable Casters for the Mark 2 look the same as the ones for the Mark 5/V and use the same parts but the Drive and Tie Rods are about 2" shorter.

The Arbor for the Mark 2 was different as shown in my thread "My Newly Restored Mark 2" but any of the 5/8" Universal Arbor (P/N 22 031 or 505506) or Molder Dado Arbor (P/N 505506) versions will work in its place. The Mark 2 uses an 8" saw blade. The Mark 2 has the same size 5/8" diameter spindle as all Mark series and Model 10 tools.

I would love to see some picture of what you have.
Russ

Mark V 520