45 Inch Connector Tubes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: 45 Inch Connector Tubes

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:33 pm I got my 45" connector tubes, 556201, yesterday. A couple of observations:
1) They appear to be polished stainless steel. Unlike other tubes in my possession, the magnet is not attracted to them.
2) They are about 20 thou thinner in the walls than my 5 foot tubes, but similar to various 27" and 18" tubes I have. I had not previously noticed that the 5 foot ones had thicker walls. It is possible that my 5 footers are non-OEM, I bought them used. (Or that this is normal.)

- David
So, is this good or bad? Are you pleased that you bought them?

If you want thicker walled stainless I'd bet that you can find them online but "you will pay".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:26 pm
DLB wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:33 pm I got my 45" connector tubes, 556201, yesterday. A couple of observations:
1) They appear to be polished stainless steel. Unlike other tubes in my possession, the magnet is not attracted to them.
2) They are about 20 thou thinner in the walls than my 5 foot tubes, but similar to various 27" and 18" tubes I have. I had not previously noticed that the 5 foot ones had thicker walls. It is possible that my 5 footers are non-OEM, I bought them used. (Or that this is normal.)

- David
So, is this good or bad? Are you pleased that you bought them?

If you want thicker walled stainless I'd bet that you can find them online but "you will pay".
I'm very happy with them. I wasn't expecting greater wall thickness than the 27" versions have, and the stainless is an unexpected bonus. And they were priced right, around $28 plus S&T for a pair on sale (reg. $38 IIRC). Not to say I would not prefer 0.120" wall thickness... But I like them, I frequently find the 27" size, which I have in abundance, is too restrictive for something I want to do.

- David
AustinDuran
Bronze Member

Post by AustinDuran »

The greater wall thickness and stainless steel bonus must be a pleasant surprise. And hey, who doesn't love a good deal? $28 for a pair on sale is definitely a win.
Totally get it – sometimes you need that extra room to maneuver, and the 27"" size just won't cut it. It's awesome that these tubes give you the freedom you're looking for. And $38 regular price? Even better that you snagged them on sale!
By the way, have you considered exploring anything related to Link deleted for your projects? Could add an interesting twist to your creations!