Paint Substitute

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Paint Substitute

Post by ryanbp01 »

I am getting ready to upgrade the SS Bandsaw. I have all of the necessary hardware to do this. However the Bandsaw must have been in the way of some white paint that was used. I have tried to remove the paint to no avail. Since I am watching my personal cash flow, does anyone know whether or not the shade of Shopsmith Gray can be purchased locally rather than ordering it and incurring the shipping and handling charges?

BPR
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Have ya tried GOO-GONE on the white paint?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Have ya tried GOO-GONE on the white paint?
What HAVE you tried??? Do you know what KIND of paint???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Like I've said, nothing works, Goo-Gone included. The same for mineral spirits and other cleaners. That's why I would like to find a paint substitute that I could purchase locally. The way I figure it, just to order a can of the touch-up paint is cost prohibitive with shipping and handling and sales tax.

BPR
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ryanbp01 wrote:Like I've said, nothing works, Goo-Gone included. The same for mineral spirits and other cleaners. That's why I would like to find a paint substitute that I could purchase locally. The way I figure it, just to order a can of the touch-up paint is cost prohibitive with shipping and handling and sales tax.

BPR
You still have NOT said what you have tried. Mineral spirits is not very effective at dissolving dried paint especially latex based nor are 'cleaners'. Have you tried 'paint remover', acetone(nail polish remover), lacquer thinner, naptha(lighter fluid), alcohol. . . . Since the cover is plastic, care needs to be taken to not damage it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I'm not interested in repainting the front cover, only the metal housing.
BPR
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Look at the Ace hardware machinery gray premium enamel, see what ya think.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ryanbp01 wrote:I'm not interested in repainting the front cover, only the metal housing.
BPR
That increases your options.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

I think I seen an advertisment that Lowes or Home Depot can scan just about anything and match paint to it.....Maybe you can take a picture of it and take it to the store and see how close they can get it.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

That's if he would want to brush it on.

Bob