Paint Substitute

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Possibly. I've seen a rechargeable aerosol can in the past. The paint would probably have to be thinned, but it should be able to be done.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

flyslinger wrote:I think I seen an advertisment that Lowes or Home Depot can scan just about anything and match paint to it.....Maybe you can take a picture of it and take it to the store and see how close they can get it.
Taking a picture will likely result in a color mismatch. Too many things varying between original object and 'color analyzer'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

etc92guy wrote:Possibly. I've seen a rechargeable aerosol can in the past. The paint would probably have to be thinned, but it should be able to be done.
Let's see...gas to get the paint...buy a rechargeable aerosol can...the paint itself...and do knot forget the viscosity meter to get the paint thinned just right! Maybe you can get everything at one store and in one trip, but it never works that way for me!!! I wood rethink this and maybe, even with sales tax and shipping the SS paint might just be the most economical way to go. :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

if you have a compessor and small spray gun already i would take the tie bar rather than a picture for color matching. otherwise buy from shopsmith. also many "paint" stores will color match and put the paint in spray cans for you but i found this alternate expensive.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

I'd sure try some cleaning with lacquer thinner or acetone before I go repainting.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

All I wanted to know is whether or not anyone had any success in finding touch-up paint through a local source rather than ordering from Shopsmith. I am going to try Beeg's suggestion and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

BPR
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I was thinking you could take something small with ya, like the tailstock. For a comparison, it might be close enough that if you paint all of the bandsaw, it would work?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A couple of years ago I went to Ace, Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot and got all the close colors I could find... none of it matched as close as I would like it to so I ended up going to shopsmith... now I have a lot of "gray" items around trying to use up the wrong paints...

So as an "anyone" I had NO success finding a matching paint anywhere other then shopsmith.

Ed

For others;
I have one of those make your own spray paint cans... I paid almost $30 for it and have gotten almost zero value out of it. Now it could be me, it could be the one I purchased or maybe I just was trying to use the wrong paints... anyway it sits in an unknown locations in a unmarked box providing more clutter for my garage. I've had much better luck with a small touch up spray gun that is attached to the compressor and cost maybe $50 (automotive type). Maybe getting the more expensive spray can was my mistake, I know I've seen them a lot cheaper in Harbor Freight???? Anyway the one I have is a thumbs down.
ryanbp01 wrote:All I wanted to know is whether or not anyone had any success in finding touch-up paint through a local source rather than ordering from Shopsmith. I am going to try Beeg's suggestion and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

BPR
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

[quote="reible"]A couple of years ago I went to Ace, Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot and got all the close colors I could find... none of it matched as close as I would like it to so I ended up going to shopsmith... now I have a lot of "gray" items around trying to use up the wrong paints...

So as an "anyone" I had NO success finding a matching paint anywhere other then shopsmith.

Ed

For others]

Ed-

You convinced me. I went ahead and ordered the right paint from Shopsmith (along with some 400 grit belts for the strip sander!). After further reading and reflection to the replies to this thread I figured it would eliminate a lot of headache.

BPR
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

ryanbp01 wrote:I am getting ready to upgrade the SS Bandsaw. I have all of the necessary hardware to do this. However the Bandsaw must have been in the way of some white paint that was used. I have tried to remove the paint to no avail. Since I am watching my personal cash flow, does anyone know whether or not the shade of Shopsmith Gray can be purchased locally rather than ordering it and incurring the shipping and handling charges?

BPR
I believe Shopsmith has spray cans of paint (Gray only).
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool: