Changing out the Head Stock Case

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Changing out the Head Stock Case

Post by edma194 »

Just finished putting my Greenie sandcast headstock back together. I don't want to take it apart again but I realize I should have filed down all the rough edges inside the headstock while I had it all apart. Your headstock may be less rough but right now my hands are covered with scratches and bruises from the ragged edges and protruding metal. It's a tight enough fit inside headstocks, these old ones have even thicker walls and don't have a smooth finish inside.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DaOldGuy
Gold Member

Re: Changing out the Head Stock Case

Post by DaOldGuy »

edma194 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:49 am Just finished putting my Greenie sandcast headstock back together. I don't want to take it apart again but I realize I should have filed down all the rough edges inside the headstock while I had it all apart. Your headstock may be less rough but right now my hands are covered with scratches and bruises from the ragged edges and protruding metal. It's a tight enough fit inside headstocks, these old ones have even thicker walls and don't have a smooth finish inside.
I have mine side by side and there is a big difference to the castings and the rough edges are endless indeed. I have been slow getting this stuff done, little at a time. I hope to paint my newer head stock case this weekend but I have not done much yet. Having painted cars for years, having the tools helps, just got to get the time.
1955 Mark 5 Greene "A"
Needs Un-Gilmer'd and some love.