Carter guides

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Carter guides

Post by Gene Howe »

What's everyone's opinion on these guides as opposed to cool blocks or wood?
I do a lot of re-sawing and a lot of work with a 1/8" blade. I like capturing the small blades in the blocks. Just wondering if the Carter retrofit would give the same amount of support.
Thanks.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I've read here that people are happier with the ceramic blocks for the bandsaw. Our own Bill Mayo sells them for a total of $16.50.

"I have almost any Shopsmith part/item available for sale it you have any Shopsmith wants or needs."
Bill http://www.billstoolz.com
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Gene,
I have the Carter Guides on one of my SS bandsaws and they work great, but I would not use them with a blade under ¼". I also use the ceramic guides and they work just as well as the Carter Guides with the same restrictions. When you use blades under ¼" the Cool Blocks are the only way to go.
ldh
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks everyone for the info.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

If you look along the top you will find a search function, if you put carter guides in the box you will find what else has been said about them. This is one has a picture and a bit more information:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ter+guides

But feel free to check out some of the other threads.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks Ed. I did as you suggested. I think I'll stick with my homemade teak guides for the small blades and order some ceramic guides from Bill...maybe.
Gene