Feather Boards

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Feather Boards

Post by dusty »

There has been some discussion here about feather boards and the fact that feather boards are on back order. I went on line to see what was available there - there are many but they might not fit in the Shopsmith t-slot.

I went to Woodcraft to see and feel for myself.
http://www.woodcraft.com/EnhancedImage. ... ode=144518

These looked like they might be an OK replacement; at least until I got my hands on one.

I'll go home and make my own if I can't get them from Shopsmith before I would buy these. By comparison, these are made of flimsy plastic. There is no way they would hold up in the shop for as long as my Shopsmith feather boards have.

I think I'll just order two or three and wait.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jmoore65
Gold Member

Post by jmoore65 »

I've been tempted to make a replacement feather board out of wood and reusing the existing bar, screws and knobs.
JPG
Platinum Member

"Brand X" featherboard

Post by JPG »

Was in Sears the last week and ran across this featherboard. It was 14.95, BUT I 'opened a Sears master card acct for which I got $15.00 credit towards my 'first payment'. It comes with TWO miter bars (5/8" and 3/4"). The bars are made of aluminum.

Judicious use of the belt sander reduced the width of the 3/4" bar to fit. The only critical dimension is the portion of the bar which is solid(not part of a slot),

[ATTACH]3298[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3299[/ATTACH]

I like the ability to mount over a WIDE angle range(what/when I will need that I do not know, but it IS nice to be able to do so). This DOES reduce the straight line adjustment range. Time will tell if it is truely useful.

It appears to be NOT in the flimsy category.
Attachments
fb1.jpg
fb1.jpg (361.17 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
fb2.jpg
fb2.jpg (419.77 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Dusty,

I had the impression it was not the feather boards per say but the vertical mounted ones... of course it could be you are right.

There must be fifty ways to make these and I have several I made in my pre-shopsmith days... just plain old pine I cut with the bandsaw. You have to clamp them on but hey they work. In fact I still use them on my non shopsmith bandsaw. A simple search on the web should yield a pile of designs.

If you need to have the vertical someone just posted (today I think) a way to do it. I've done it a bit different here on my old opr but a simple fence added to the rip fence would work just like shown.

[ATTACH]3300[/ATTACH].

Ed
Attachments
OPR j1.jpg
OPR j1.jpg (123.4 KiB) Viewed 9588 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]