What finish for chisel handles?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

daveg
Silver Member

What finish for chisel handles?

Post by daveg »

I'm making some chisel handles from almond (from my firewood pile). It sands up to a very hard fine finish. It needs color, Almond is kind of pink. I have Varathane Dark Walnut. Then it needs some protection from my grubby hands. Does anyone think Varathane stain is enough or should I put something on top of that to protect the wood. Tung oil? BLO? Shellac? I'm not really sure how well Varathane stain will seal the wood.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: What finish for chisel handles?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

IMO it depends on your personal taste and possibly the environment it will be used , jmo all of the above would work or a good coat varnish or poly once you have the color picked out . One person I knew dipped his in a coat of that rubber stuff they dip tool handles in . I have no idea how well it held up I haven't talked with this guy in many years.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:20 am IMO it depends on your personal taste and possibly the environment it will be used , jmo all of the above would work or a good coat varnish or poly once you have the color picked out . One person I knew dipped his in a coat of that rubber stuff they dip tool handles in . I have no idea how well it held up I haven't talked with this guy in many years.
I would not talk to him either! 😂
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I use shellac on my hand plane knobs and totes and it is both durable and looks good. I have a friend that says when his hands sweat the shellac gets sticky so he uses tung oil. I use BLO on outdoor tools and do a half hearted application of daily for a week, weekly for a month, monthly for a year and yearly forever.

My chisels and turning tools all have non-wood handles. I suppose I should be shunned.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Just use whatever you like. Chisel handles won't likely get such hard use that the finish will be all that important. I made some lathe chisels a couple of years ago. I used hickory for the handles and simply put a couple of coats of clear urethane on them. They work just fine.
chisels_car.jpg
chisels_car.jpg (138.08 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
daveg
Silver Member

Post by daveg »

Well, I sort of ruined the 1st one so I will experiment with it. I think I'll try the tung oil 1st.