SS 500 Repair myself or send it off

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ggurgiolo
Bronze Member

SS 500 Repair myself or send it off

Post by ggurgiolo »

Hey Guys, here is my dilemma. I bent my driveshaft/quill trying to turn a bowl that was too large and maybe my gouge wasn’t sharp enough. 14” diameter 6” thick pecan blank that was hard as nails.

It looks like I can send it off to the guy on eBay and end up paying $350 for a tune up and new shaft/quill. If I do it my self it looks like it will be half of that. How hard is it to do this. Replace the Shaft/quill and Poly V belt and lube it up?

Thanks
Glenn Bob
Dallas/Fort Worth TX
SS 500, with bandsaw
ggurgiolo@tx.rr.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ggurgiolo wrote:Hey Guys, here is my dilemma. I bent my driveshaft/quill trying to turn a bowl that was too large and maybe my gouge wasn’t sharp enough. 14” diameter 6” thick pecan blank that was hard as nails.

It looks like I can send it off to the guy on eBay and end up paying $350 for a tune up and new shaft/quill. If I do it my self it looks like it will be half of that. How hard is it to do this. Replace the Shaft/quill and Poly V belt and lube it up?

Thanks
This decision is really based on just how mechanically inclined you are but I believe you can do what you have described on your own.

View this video and decide for yourself. While you are at it, you might want to browse through the others that are available online as part of the Sawdust Sessions.
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... _Index.htm

All the others:
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

If you don't have a manual, I strongly recommend that you acquire one.

There are three or four on ebay now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ggurgiolo
Bronze Member

SS 500 Repair

Post by ggurgiolo »

Thanks a bunch Dusty. I can't believe it's that easy. This is a no brainer. Any idea how hard it is to replace the Poly V belt? I figure that has never been done to my machine and with it's age should be. Once again thanks.
Glenn Bob
Dallas/Fort Worth TX
SS 500, with bandsaw
ggurgiolo@tx.rr.com
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

ggurgiolo wrote:Thanks a bunch Dusty. I can't believe it's that easy. This is a no brainer. Any idea how hard it is to replace the Poly V belt? I figure that has never been done to my machine and with it's age should be. Once again thanks.
Hi Glenn,

Dusty already gave you the information that you need. If you take the time to review all the Sawdust Sessions, you will learn a lot. Here is a link to the Sawdust Session done on the Poly V belts.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS104/SS104_Replacing_Belts.htm
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I'm guessing that by the drive shaft, that's the shaft on the quill?
If ya follow Dusty's second link, you should find an sawdust session about the poly v belt. Is your present belt frayed, cracked or worn out?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Like the others said with the video it should be an easy fix for you.

On another note, If one is going to have the Shopsmith serviced by someone, why send it to some guy on e-bay when Shopsmith has a service department.
Remember if Shopsmith were to go under the e-bay guy is not going to have the ability to get parts. Support Shopsmith.
allsas
Gold Member

My approach to Working on 500

Post by allsas »

I watched the sawdust sessions and thought that most of the tear down was pretty straight forward. I had to watch the videos several times to get the details and got some help putting bearings on the drive sleeve.

There are some printable narratives and procedures lists that help when disassembling and assembling the SS, in case you couldn't keep track of the parts when tearing down the SS.

Big committment is upgrading to the poly V drive belt, new Drive sleeve w/bearings, idler shaft, and new double bearing quill. With that many new parts, repair should be easy. The eBay reconditioner will repair subsystems and the whole headstock does not need to be shipped, just the drive sleeve or quill.
SS prices for parts and the reconditioner's price for bearing replacement seemed reasonable

I tried to list all of the sources in the Reactivation narrative and you can preview all of the steps before starting.

If the headstock casting is OK, the job of upgrading is straight forward and doesn't need too many tools. Which parts to replace or repair is the only problem. Here is a previous perspective on your predicament.
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.