Shorty -One Man Change

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

thanks for the backup support guys. i had no intention of offending anyone. sorry 'bout that mtobey. nuff said.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

baysidebob wrote:It is really surprizeing what different symbols on the computer mean to different people. I at on time was stating something to another person and ended my sentence with a "!' well she called me and was really upset with her because she was accusing me of YELLING at her. Tried to explain that I was not yelling, just stating something. well it took her several months to let it go, and this was a person that my business needed to work with on a daily basis. She insisted that she would work with others here but refused to work with me. This was several years ago, and I am happy to say it has been put behind us, as we still have to work with her.

Bayside Bof, Calif.
An exclamation point is used for 'emphasis'!

THIS IS YELLING:D

BTW Bof when did you change your name?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

jpg40504 wrote:An exclamation point is used for 'emphasis'!

THIS IS YELLING:D

BTW Bof when did you change your name?
Okay you noticed the name malfunction. Of coarse that was not an intensional mistake, just a mistake. These forums are just way to much fun for most of us. And yes I agree your version depicts a much better discription of YELLING........

Bayside Bob, Calif.
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

baysidebob wrote:Okay you noticed the name malfunction.

Bayside Bob, Calif.
BB, do you have to type in the "Bayside Bob" each time? You can put that in your profile to show each time. Like I did.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

beeg wrote:BB, do you have to type in the "Bayside Bob" each time? You can put that in your profile to show each time. Like I did.
Bob, thanks for the suggestion, will see if I can get to that tomorrow....May take me that long to find it.

Bayside Bob, Calif
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
mtobey
Gold Member

Help on the Way!

Post by mtobey »

Some of you might recall that my first SS was a gift from a fine woodworking friend. It about knocked me over. Since then, I am tethered to my machines. I keep wanting to leap into my computer screen and whoop up on those who make fun. I should just be smug and enjoy--how many of those morons have a speed controlled beltsander, or a handy stripsander( I also have an "old arn" Delta stripsander). My jigsaw/scrollsaw is also speed controlled(I know I am preaching to the choir,here-I also have a 24" vintage Delta scroller) and I cut wood, phenolic, lucite, and metal regularly. Same for my bandsaw.

So, believe me, I feel fortunate to have one, let alone two-and both of mine have less than .001 TIR at the spindle spud. My second one had been fully serviced by a veteran and respected electric motor shop, test run, then put away. I cannot recommend the Incra Express highly enough. And, if one wishes to build a slider/miter box, Incra will sell the miter bar dedicated to SS-at least they did for me. I am going to buy the recently discussed box in the next few weeks(shot my budget all to heck on guitar wood, bridges, potentiometers, capacitors, switches and vintage replica tinned -twist cloth covered wire and tuning machines).

NOW THE BIG NEWS- the friend who gave me my first unit is coming over tomorrow evening to help. He has been buried in work(except when he and his 86 year old father went skiing at Vail last week-86, can you believe that? what a thrill to be with your father like that.)

I have come to the conclusion that our beloved machine is an ideal luthier power tool center. And other luthiers drool when they see my SS OPR's- so sturdy and precise.(On one I installed a fine thread heli-coil on the depth adjuster and use a star jig knob for locking)- I will be un-boxing my #2 OPR and setting it up for neck detailing and inlay- I will have to weld up a stand, but I have another new in the box Jessem solid phenolic table in the wings- a Jessem provides a true repeatable fence location arrangement and those helpful "T" slots. Their plate is phenolic as well and I leave big routers in it with no sag at all.[ATTACH]3328[/ATTACH]

I am pretty scared about this drastic life change but in a way excited. I started my law practice from scratch-so now at nearly 63 yoa I start another career-the big risk is taking something done for relaxation and pleasure and trying to operate with a profit expected-many a hobby has been ruined that way. My other option would have been returning to fabricating racecar chassis but I am just not up to lifting and wrestling with sub-assemblies for welding.And, it is not a basement thing. So, hopefully, tomorrow night I will be able to go vertical and get a bunch of bridges and tail-stop pieces installed-some relaxing soldering, some less relaxing inlay, final assembly and away those guitars go. I'll post some photos as I go-here is one of a buckeye burl Telecaster style.Mike T.
Attachments
DSC_0002 (Small).JPG
DSC_0002 (Small).JPG (31.9 KiB) Viewed 12388 times
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
mtobey
Gold Member

Telecaster In Progress

Post by mtobey »

The last photo is the true color-not so warm.Trying to attach.
Attachments
DSC_0002 (Small).JPG
DSC_0002 (Small).JPG (48.98 KiB) Viewed 12355 times
DSC_0003 (Small).JPG
DSC_0003 (Small).JPG (44.36 KiB) Viewed 12343 times
DSC_0004 (Small).JPG
DSC_0004 (Small).JPG (44.53 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Successful conversion and realignment. Thanks for advice.mt
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mtobey wrote:Successful conversion and realignment...
Glad to hear it!!!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:Glad to hear it!!!
Does all this activity mean you got YOUR computer back alive and well?:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange