Bearing replacement on Drive Sleeve Assy. (part 56)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

You can send your parts or the whole thing to Jacob Anderson or Bill Mayo. Both can do the work.

Below is information on how to reach them:
Bill on the forum or at his
web site Billstoolz.com,

Jacob Anderson is on ebay:
e-mail: jacobvb@yahoo.com

Almost all the bearings can be replace, with the exception of the bearings on the idler shaft (the middle shaft). It those go you will need to purchase the idler shaft from SS.

I'm not the expert on this, just well read and currently working on my headstock.

Bill has been very helpful and so has Jacob.

I hope this is useful and of some help.

Best of Luck,

Dan

P.S. Jacob makes two DVDs on how to repair your headstock and motor. Excellent reference material.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

bettyt44720 wrote:the nylon drive can easily be removed with two screwdrivers (one on each side) and pop it off. it has a spring type retainer. then pop it back on when ready. i have pressed several sets of bearings on in my machinst type vise using sockets the proper size. never press on the balls of the bearing or the outer race.
Tried removing the nylon piece with the screwdrivers but it was not budging. Instead, took an adjustable wrench and used it to "thunk" the thing off. Took about 10 wraps but it worked pretty well.

[ATTACH]3326[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3327[/ATTACH]

There was no "spring type retainer" like you mentioned. At least I didn't see anything other than the nylon piece.

Can't figure out why the nylon part description (part #57) is "drive and ring assy". All I see is a single piece of nylon. Not much of an assembly.

Thanks bucksaw for the part numbers of the bearings. Since I have the beast apart, I am going to change them all. I located a bearing source company here in S.D. today. I'll be bringing my stuff down this week.
Attachments
drive and ring assembly removal.jpg
drive and ring assembly removal.jpg (54.87 KiB) Viewed 15370 times
drive and ring assembly removed.jpg
drive and ring assembly removed.jpg (65.57 KiB) Viewed 15376 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You have 'encountered' the differences between a gilmer belt and poly v belt drive shaft(sleeve) assembly. This difference is one reason the 2 bearing quill is not compatible with the gilmer version. No it does NOT have a retaining spring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dcottrill wrote:Almost all the bearings can be replaced, with the exception of the bearings on the idler shaft (the middle shaft). If those go you will need to purchase the idler shaft from SS.
Why is the idler shaft bearing an exception which warrents a replacement shaft?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
hobbyist
Gold Member

Post by hobbyist »

mickyd wrote:Why is the idler shaft bearing an exception which warrents a replacement shaft?
I believe the idler shaft bearing is actually a water pump bearing assembly. Those bearings are manufactured as an integrated unit with the shaft. You can probably find a replacement if you search hard enough, though it might be easier to order the parts from Shopsmith.

When I rebuilt my headstock a few years ago, I purchased new drive sleeve and motor bearings from McMaster-Carr. McMaster-Carr doesn't list manufacturers in their catalog, but I ordered their "Precision-plus" bearings and they shipped SKF's at the time. I opted for double sealed bearings. The originals on my machine were double shielded.

SKF 6203 2RSJEM Motor, double sealed
SKF 6205 2RSJEM Drive sleeve, double sealed

I used a bearing separator and arbor press to remove and install the bearings. Be careful to apply force only on the inner bearing ring when installing them.

Ray
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i'm sorry. i did not follow the thread close enough. i was talking about popping the nylon drive on the poly v system. the plastic sleeve on the gilmer does not drive the quill shaft like the one on the poly v does. the poly v main shaft does not have a metal spline, the gilmer does. not sure of the purpose of the piece that you show but am familiar with it.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

mickyd wrote:Tried removing the nylon piece with the screwdrivers but it was not budging. Instead, took an adjustable wrench and used it to "thunk" the thing off. Took about 10 wraps but it worked pretty well.

[ATTACH]3326[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3327[/ATTACH]

There was no "spring type retainer" like you mentioned. At least I didn't see anything other than the nylon piece.

Can't figure out why the nylon part description (part #57) is "drive and ring assy". All I see is a single piece of nylon. Not much of an assembly.

Thanks bucksaw for the part numbers of the bearings. Since I have the beast apart, I am going to change them all. I located a bearing source company here in S.D. today. I'll be bringing my stuff down this week.
On the Gilmar drive the nylon piece acts as a dust shield. It is missing on my Greenie and the lack of one has not caused any problems. I don't believe you can purchase a replacement.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Good reference site for Bearing Part Number Nomenclature:
AHR International
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

jpg40504 wrote:You have 'encountered' the differences between a gilmer belt and poly v belt drive shaft(sleeve) assembly. This difference is one reason the 2 bearing quill is not compatible with the gilmer version. No it does NOT have a retaining spring.
Two bearing quill is not compatible with gilmer drive sysem??? That means if I was to go with the quill upgrade that I will also have to upgrade the drive system?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Two bearing quill is not compatible with gilmer drive sysem??? That means if I was to go with the quill upgrade that I will also have to upgrade the drive system?
YES!:( .........That includes both idler shaft AND drive shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange