Holes on miter gauge

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ash1562
Gold Member

Holes on miter gauge

Post by Ash1562 »

The miter gauge has two holes on either side..what are they for??
20220831_155018.jpg
20220831_155018.jpg (134.2 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
1960's vintage Shopsmith Mark VII with Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Holes on miter gauge

Post by RFGuy »

Ash1562 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:50 pm The miter gauge has two holes on either side..what are they for??20220831_155018.jpg
It is for the miter gauge stop rod (item #505629). It inserts in on the left or right side and then the setscrews to secure it are inserted into the holes on top that you also marked. Check out the pics at the forum link below:

viewtopic.php?p=52892#p52892

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rgauge.htm
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Ash1562 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:50 pm The miter gauge has two holes on either side..what are they for??20220831_155018.jpg
1) The horizontal holes can hold a stop rod for repetitive crosscuts (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rgauge.htm) OR a long allen-type wrench (or alternative long thingy) for aligning the miter slots parallel to blade or rip fence parallel to slot. (This depends on which of many alignment procedures you use. I have not used this method in years.)
2) The vertical holes allow you to install a setscrew that would hold said stop rod or alignment gage.
3) IIRC on some miter gauges the access to the nylon pads that the front edge of the gauge ride on is also through the vertical holes. If this applies to yours, then you want to ensure no setscrews, stop rods, etc. are present as they block access. To my recollection, often faulty, Greenies like yours originally have this type of nylon pad. IIRC it is a simple nylon setscrew. On later versions the nylon pad is a screw that screws in (and adjusts) from the bottom, and is a larger surface. They are not interchangeable, the casting is different.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Not to threadjack but since we're on the topic of miter gauge holes, can we broaden the discussion to ask as well what are these holes on the far end of the miter gauge bar? C-C distance is tighter than the ones for the miter protractor though the holes themselves are similar
IMG_7291.jpeg
IMG_7291.jpeg (292.56 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
IMG_7292.jpeg
IMG_7292.jpeg (325.19 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

HopefulSSer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:44 pm Not to threadjack but since we're on the topic of miter gauge holes, can we broaden the discussion to ask as well what are these holes on the far end of the miter gauge bar? C-C distance is tighter than the ones for the miter protractor though the holes themselves are similar
Those holes are not present on later miter gauge bars. As far as I know they have no Mark 5/V purpose, I used to use one of them to hang it on the wall. But I think they were mentioned in another thread.(?) And of course, later 510 and on versions have the 'washer' for the T-slot that adds another threaded hole and a machined recess for the washer. Perhaps Russ could shed some light on when some of this evolution took place.

If we can nominate changes, I'd like to see a second T-washer near the other end and a second 'lock' that would let me improve fit between bar and slot.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

To confirm on the question Ash1562 asked, RFGuy and David are correct. The smooth bore holes on the sides of the Miter's Protractor are for the Stop Rod and can be used to check alignment of the blade to the table and the fence. The threaded hole on the top of the Miter's Protractor goes all the way through and on earlier Miter's had two purposes. First to adjust the nylon oval end slotted set screw that are the glides for the miter. Later Miters use a different glide and both are shown in the picture below. The second purpose for the top threaded holes is to lock the stop rod in position with a set screw. The Stop Rod came out during the Model 10's production and their Miter's Protractors have the holes too but not the nylon glides.

_
Miter Glides.jpg
Miter Glides.jpg (162.23 KiB) Viewed 928 times
The later Hex Head Glide is on the left and the earlier set screw type is on the right. Originally the set screw type was white not black like the replacements shown. By the way I am not the one who put the saw blade cut in the Miter's Protractor on the left. A good reminder to watch where the Miter is going to go when you tilt the Table for bevel cuts.

As for HopefulSSer's question, the holes on the leading end of the earlier Miter Bars have a purpose. The Universal Hold Down came out during the Model 10's and continued after the introduction of the Mark 5 in 1954. The Model 10 version had 1/4" set screws and the Mark 5 version changed to 5/16" set screws for the Shopsmith Toolbox, the 5/32" Allen Wrench. As shown in the instructions on the box top for the Universal Hold Down there is a post that can attach through the end counter sunk hole (top left). For Model 10 users they had to drill the end hole themselves. The second threaded hole can hold the other post with a threaded end, but that post was generally used in the hole the Safety Grip attached to. I don't recall if there was another use for the threaded hole. The special Mark 5 Miter on a Model 10 bar only has the counter sunk hole on the end of the bar. As shown on the box's top below the Universal Hold Down can be used in many ways and just 5 are illustrated there. Additional uses are shown in the instructions.

_
IMG_0645ct.jpg
IMG_0645ct.jpg (219.99 KiB) Viewed 928 times
IMG_0645cb.jpg
IMG_0645cb.jpg (215.26 KiB) Viewed 928 times
The above pictures are the Model 10 version.

The 1960 Goldie I restored still had both of those holes (countersunk and threaded) on the Miter bar. I don't know when they were discontinued.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Whoa- never saw that universal hold down kit before... I guess it has been replaced by featherboards and the like ?

b
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

Y'all are awesome. Thank you!
1960's vintage Shopsmith Mark VII with Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Never seen that kit either. Interesting!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The csink hole and the tapped hole continued at least through the Mark VII.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange