Holes on miter gauge

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ash1562
Gold Member

Re: Holes on miter gauge

Post by Ash1562 »

I've spent all day trying to find that kit!! Haha
1960's vintage Shopsmith Mark VII with Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ash1562 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:45 pm I've spent all day trying to find that kit!! Haha
Did you look in an antique store?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

JPG wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:49 pm
Ash1562 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:45 pm I've spent all day trying to find that kit!! Haha
Not yet, just online so far. I'm in Atlanta so I'll need to get out and about to a few local shops this weekend.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Ash1562 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:41 am
JPG wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:49 pm
Not yet, just online so far. I'm in Atlanta so I'll need to get out and about to a few local shops this weekend.
Good luck. They almost never come up on eBay.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ash1562,

John is right in that the Universal Hold Down does not show up very often. The complete one in box that I have is a Model 10 version that came with a Model 10ER I bought and restored several years ago. That 10ER came with a lot of accessories. I have most of the parts to a second Model 10 one which is missing one 90 degree part and no box. I believe that also came with a Model 10 I bought and restored. This is sometimes the easiest way to get some of those less common accessories.

The Universal Hold Down is listed in a 1962 Accessory Catalog but not in a 1964 catalog. That may be the time frame it was discontinued or may have simply not been included in that 1964 catalog. Either way it has been a long time since it was made.

I have seen a similar Hold Down set for sale on ebay in the past and listed as the Shopsmith one but it was actually a Craftsman one which I know because I have one for my Craftsman Table Saw.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

Russ

Thank you for that. I'm a bit of a hoarder and want this kit cuz I would hate to not have it. That said, how useful is it? I'm struggling to see what it can do from those basic photos. Do you ever use it? Do you have better images of the parts in action?

Ashkan
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

Sorry - I should say I struggle to see how the various pieces fit together. I fancy myself a bit of a maker with my 3D printer so maybe can try to recreate these parts for those who want the function but can't find the kit itself.
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

Found this great video:

https://youtu.be/PPmGIDDC7ok
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

So after watching that video and skimming the instructions for the hold down kit... Did I miss the answer to the question of what the threaded hole near the end of the early miter bars is for? Does the 'threaded post' fit into it and, if so, is there an application where you'd set it up that way? Tom only used the countersunk hold in the video, and that was all I saw in the manual.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As I said in my first post in this thread referring to the threaded hole near the end of the Miter bar.
The second threaded hole can hold the other post with a threaded end, but that post was generally used in the hole the Safety Grip attached to. I don't recall if there was another use for the threaded hole.
So, I don't recall what the threaded hole on the Miter bar is actually used for and I don't believe it was intended to hold the threaded post from the Universal Hold Down. The reason is the Universal Hold Down came out during the Model 10's production and one of it's uses was to provide hold down functions similar to the Safety Grip. The Universal Hold Down has many other possible uses not involving the Miter. Attached below is a PFD of the instructions for the Universal Hold Down made during the Model 10ER Production.

_
Universal Hold Down 05-53.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
Ash1562,

I don't have any pictures of it in use other than the instructions above. Actually, I don't really use it since there are simpler ways to accomplish the same function with feather boards or the Safety Grip on the Miter. That is not to say I wouldn't ever use it if a need came up. That would be similar situations as those discussed in the video linked by you above. My primary Shopsmith is the Mark 7 followed by the Mark V 520 then the Model 10ER if I need multiple setups and I don't want to have changeovers while working. I have the Mark 5 Miter with Safety Grip version that has the Model 10 miter bar to use in my Model 10ER or even the 10E so less need to use the Universal Hold Down. I have used the Hold Down set I have for the Craftsman Table Saw in the past which worked well for the task.

I am a "collector" of Shopsmith items and this is part of the collection. Just because they are restored now looking pretty and like new doesn't mean they cannot be used. That includes my recently restored Mark 2 and my Model 10E which was part of the original 250 sold to Montgomery Ward that started it all. The Delta Hold Down set up shown in the video you linked above is one I also have. It is mounted on an early Model 10E Miter which is shown below.

_
Model 10 Miter with special holddown.jpg
Model 10 Miter with special holddown.jpg (198.24 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.