What's the normal motor sound when rotating output shaft by hand?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

I have the motor out. When I spin the shaft, it makes a "clickity" sound, same sound when rotating in either direction. (I know your saying what the hecks a clickity sound!!!) Don't know how else to explain it. Since I've never done this rotation test on a motor, I don't know what normal is supposed to sound like. I thought maybe it's the brushes that are making this sound but ????????

There is definately NO PLAY when biasing the output shaft in any direction. It rotates pretty smoothly also.....just don't know about that "clickity" sound.

Any input?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Mike - I don't recall hearing any sounds when spinning a motor by hand. I have mine out of the headstock, will check it out when I get home and confirm.
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

mickyd wrote:I have the motor out. When I spin the shaft, it makes a "clickity" sound, same sound when rotating in either direction. (I know your saying what the hecks a clickity sound!!!) Don't know how else to explain it. Since I've never done this rotation test on a motor, I don't know what normal is supposed to sound like. I thought maybe it's the brushes that are making this sound but ????????

There is definately NO PLAY when biasing the output shaft in any direction. It rotates pretty smoothly also.....just don't know about that "clickity" sound.

Any input?
Don't believe you have brushes in the motor. Maybe the contact points? or bearings starting to go?
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

mickyd wrote:I have the motor out. When I spin the shaft, it makes a "clickity" sound, same sound when rotating in either direction. (I know your saying what the hecks a clickity sound!!!) Don't know how else to explain it. Since I've never done this rotation test on a motor, I don't know what normal is supposed to sound like. I thought maybe it's the brushes that are making this sound but ????????

Any input?
There are no brushes in any Shopsmith headstock motor. Does the motor operate? Normally a clicking sound is a pitted bearing. I can feel any pitted bearing when turning the shaft. I find the front motor bearing (sheave end) takes all the wear so if the noise is in the motor front end, then it most likely is the front bearing. There should be no real noise when rotating the motor shaft. Does the fan sheave have some clearance (1/16"-1/8") from the front motor plate? Can you hear which motor end has the noise? If from the back end, it may be the centrifugal switch spring being weak or broken.

Before disassembling the motor, mark the end plates and housing so the motor will be reassemblied correctly again. I use a pocket knife or scribe to make a line over one of the bolts holding the motor together.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Yes the motor operates. I turned it on ONLY for a split second since the power cord was in such poor condition.

I am going to have to listen and feel a little closer after work. I am not absolutely sure right now if the sound comiong from the front or back. I am glad to hear you say that there should be no real noise. At least I know that indeed I DO have noise that shouldn't be there. It was subtle but load enough to be noticeable

I do have good clearance on the fan sheave. That was the first thing I checked since it was external.

Thanks for the clear guideance and instruction. I'll continue later.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

For actual motor bearing problems, it's probably fair to expect them to occur in both rotation directions, as you twist the motor shaft by hand.
However if you only hear the subtle clicking noise in one direction, or shortly after reversing your hand-twisting direction, then it may be a noise from the centrifugal switch. In such case I'm not sure about what constitutes "normal" noise, but if your motor starts OK and runs OK, then that's one indicator toward the good.
Chris
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

mickyd wrote:I turned it on ONLY for a split second since the power cord was in such poor condition.
Don't forget to replace that cord with a 12ga SJT cord or better.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
mickyd
Platinum Member

"Clickity" sound determined

Post by mickyd »

Pulled the motor apart last night and found the source of the noise. The back bearing relieved itself of all its grease and the sound was coming from the dry ball bearings. Oddly (to me anyway), the shaft rotation still felt very smooth.

Anyway, thanks for the info you guys shared. I'll replace the 2 bearings, get an updated power cord and I should be ready to give it a full power test by this weekend.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

beeg wrote:Don't forget to replace that cord with a 12ga SJT cord or better.
For all of us electrically challenged members, what's the SJT stand for? Does the SS replacement cord meet that because I just brough one?

I searched both Home Depot and Lowes last night for the 12ga SJT but they don't carry. The largest they had was 14ga with no product marking indicating SJT.
Mike
Sunny San Diego