Scroll saw upgrade kit instructions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tadakan
Bronze Member

Scroll saw upgrade kit instructions

Post by tadakan »

Hello all,

I recently purchased a used grey stand alone scroll saw that came with a bunch of upgrade parts. Unfortunately, the manual for the upgrade installations is water damaged and I have no idea how some of the parts are supposed to be used.

If anyone still has a copy of the manual for the 555706 scroll saw upgrade, I would greatly appreciate a scan of it.

Thanks,

Tom
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Scroll saw upgrade kit instructions

Post by chapmanruss »

Tom,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. The PDF I have of the Scroll Saw Upgrade is too large of a file to post here. I can help you though since I have done the upgrade to my gray Scroll Saw and I can add pictures of the instructions. There is one part that can be difficult. That is the new hexagonal post for the hold down. On page 1 of the instructions on the right side in the boxed area it explains this problem and correcting it. The top of page one is the first picture below followed by the bottom of page one and page 2 top then bottom.

_
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 1 top.jpg
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 1 top.jpg (143.51 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 1 bottom.jpg
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 1 bottom.jpg (147.17 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 2 top.jpg
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 2 top.jpg (156.98 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 2 bottom.jpg
Scroll Saw Upgrade Kit page 2 bottom.jpg (155.33 KiB) Viewed 790 times
The picture below show a gray Scroll Saw with its original parts.

_
Gray Scroll Saw - second table version.jpg
Gray Scroll Saw - second table version.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Below is a gray Scroll Saw with the Upgrade Kit installed

_
Model 555220 ser Apr 14 1989.jpg
Model 555220 ser Apr 14 1989.jpg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 790 times
The picture below shows the upgrade upper Blade Block installed.

_
Scroll Saw Blade Block on 555220.jpg
Scroll Saw Blade Block on 555220.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Changing the upper and lower blocks are simply releasing the original blocks and replacing them with the upgrade ones. It looks like a little TLC is needed on the threads of that upper block. If you need additional help, just ask.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
tadakan
Bronze Member

Post by tadakan »

Hey Russ,

I really appreciate it! Shopsmith support just replied back and said that I'd have to order a hard copy. Not the end of the world at $12 if I decide to go for it, but I'd rather not spend the money on that when I could buy more blades or wood or something.

I'm not sure if someone was being helpful, or if the kit just came this way, but all of the pieces are separate from one another. For example, I need to fit the roll pin that attaches the upper blade block to the black plastic doohickey. put the plastic lever cap on the allen screw, and thread that into the blade block. All that to say that there are a bunch of mystery parts. Your pictures and the text description help quite a bit though, so I'll see how I get on.

I could give you a link to a folder on my google drive to upload the big pdf if you have time to deal with that.

Thanks again,

Tom
tadakan
Bronze Member

Post by tadakan »

Hey Russ,

Just wanted to update you, after looking at the pictures of the upgrade instructions some more and pictures of some others' setups and a youtube video, I managed to get my saw setup. I cracked the bottom blade block, so I'm using the old bottom block with the new top block, but that's working just fine and the machined blocks are definitely sturdier than the cast zamak/aluminum/whatever blocks.

Now I just have to get my blade tension right and stop snapping blades!

Thanks for your help,

Tom
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

When I did the upgrade on my Scroll Saw all the components were preassembled, so my guess is someone separated everything for some unknown reason.

Sorry to hear the lower blade block is broken. Unfortunately, the instructions do not include a parts list like most instructions do so you would have to contact customer service to order a replacement. Since this upgrade kit is no longer available it may help to reference item number 555708 for the Scroll Saw Blade Block Upgrade Kit which has just the upper and lower Blade Blocks.

EDIT: Sorry I wasn't thinking earlier. The Scroll Saw Lower Blade Block is part number 518223 and reference number 20 for the current Scroll Saw which is where it comes from. That part costs $4.95 plus shipping.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RichardGibbs
Bronze Member

Post by RichardGibbs »

Saw this had a problem loading a compact set of instructions and thought this might help someone. Copied and edited images one of the gurus posted and made a pdf file that could be loaded here. Hope it helps someone.
Attachments
Scroll Saw upgrade kits.pdf
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

PJT is a spammer since the post is a copy of an earlier post. Say goodbye!
Last edited by JPG on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I didn't spot that!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466