Raising saw table to clear blade before sliding table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Matanuska
Gold Member

Raising saw table to clear blade before sliding table

Post by Matanuska »

Don't know why it took me so long to figure this out - apologies to those who already have.

Before sliding the saw table over the saw blade to change or remove the blade I used to crank the table up until the tubes disengaged from the crank teeth and started clanking, or tried to eyeball the clearance. Discovered it's much easier just to put a finger on the bottom of the near tube and raise the table until the bottom of the tube is flush with the bottom of the carriage. Don't have to look and works every time.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Raising saw table to clear blade before sliding table

Post by JPG »

I have used the one handed audio method for 60 years!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Matanuska,

Sounds like a simple way to raise the table for clearance without going too far.
Discovered it's much easier just to put a finger on the bottom of the near tube and raise the table until the bottom of the tube is flush with the bottom of the carriage. Don't have to look and works every time.
The other way you were doing it (quote below) may cause damage to the Carriage Pinions wearing down the gear teeth.
I used to crank the table up until the tubes disengaged from the crank teeth and started clanking,
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Yep - it always bothered me when I misjudged and cranked too far.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I've always just eyeballed it. Crank until the blade disappears from sight and I'm clear. Same when moving the table back. I just eyeball it.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I don't know if all "500's" are the same, but IIRC the position needed for clearance on my Greenie is much closer to the one that causes clanking compared to a 520. I eyeball it now, used to stop when it clanked on the Greenie.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

DLB wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:57 am I don't know if all "500's" are the same, but IIRC the position needed for clearance on my Greenie is much closer to the one that causes clanking compared to a 520. I eyeball it now, used to stop when it clanked on the Greenie.

- David
I'd need to go to the shop to verify (and it's pouring rain ATM) but I think you're right -- if the table is much lower than clanking on my Greenie then the table doesn't clear the blade. Perhaps when redesigning the table system they also decided to address that problem as well.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

The method suggested doesn't work on my 1986 Model 500--there is still about 5/8" of the 10" blade showing above the table surface.

Keith
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't currently own a Mark V 500 or earlier original table system Mark 5 to try it on. I do have parts and checked the length of the Table Posts I have. The 500/original posts are 11" long while 505/510/520 Table Posts are 14" long. That in itself could be the difference in the ability to use Matanuska's suggestion. One Mark V I restored had damage to the Carriage Pinions and raising the table up until the tubes disengaged may have contributed to the damaged teeth on the Carriage Pinions. Hard to say.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Audible method needs to be "gentle".

I have not tried the finger approach(yet).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange