Shopsmith ER

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dchip
Bronze Member

Shopsmith ER

Post by Dchip »

Hi
You might think I am crazy. But, I inherited a Shopsmith ER serial no 40045. I don't see myself using it and don't really have room for it. Can you guys give me an idea of what it is worth? There are so many accessories that I don't even know what they all are. I know my dad used it as a shaper, drill press and table saw. But there are things for use as a lathe and much more.
Thank you in advance
Chip
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith ER

Post by JPG »

Whatever someone else is willing to pay for it. I know that is not very helpful, but not enough description and location matters.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Some pictures showing what is included will help.
I have three, the most I paid was $75, but prices have risen a bit the last few years.
Likely somewhere in the $100 - $200 dollar range
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

Chip - I’d check local Craigslist listings to see what people are asking local to you. I see a ton of these listed for $300-500, and frankly they never appear to sell, while those listed for $100 or less generally attract interest. I saw a fellow on Facebook recently who sold his gorgeously restored 10-ER, and he didn’t even get a nibble until he dropped the asking price to $400 (don’t know what he ended up getting for it).

The truth is that these vintage Shopsmith systems are worth less than the sum of the parts in most cases, so if you want to maximize your return, you need to sell it part by part. Definitely provide some pictures to the group, and you’ll get some good insights into what it’s worth collectively, or sold as parts.

Here’s one item - the accessory speed changer - that can make a big difference in the system selling price if you have one. They go for $150-200 alone, so definitely can improve interest in your machine.
77811428-013B-486B-A7DC-C3805B30828D.jpeg
77811428-013B-486B-A7DC-C3805B30828D.jpeg (269.58 KiB) Viewed 741 times
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dchip,

This is a question that comes up often. Recently CreekWood in the post I have a friend (with a SS Mark V) asked the same thing. This was part of my response to him that really applies to all who ask What Is My Shopsmith Worth?
As for a fair price that is always difficult to say. Prices vary for a number of reasons. Your case is you are looking to buy from a friend. You don't want to cheat him but you don't want to overpay either. A difficult position. Trying to get a feel for prices in your area can be difficult too. The price you see in ads are the asking price and not the actual sale price, so comparisons are difficult to make. What kind of condition the Mark V is in is a big thing when deciding what to pay. How much will have to be done to it to get in into good running condition is a factor. The same is true for the Bandsaw and other accessories. Are there any missing parts that need to be replaced to be able to use its functions are an additional consideration. Sorry I am not much help on the price. Not being able to see it in person I cannot say what I would be willing to pay if I wanted it.
The key things to consider is condition, completeness and location. All things already mentioned. Your Shopsmith ER is actually a Model 10ER but for still an unknown reason the Logo/serial number plates only say ER. For that we can only guess. Yours having serial number 40045 would have either a prefix of R (being made in the West Coast Plant) or ER (being made in the East Coast Plant). It was made prior to April 1951 and replacement parts for them must be found used. That is one reason completeness is an important consideration when it comes to the price I would pay for one. Additional accessories like the Speed Changer jpdalton mentioned is a plus and a sought-after accessory. Below is one I restored about 7 years ago that should be close to your 10ER. It has all the items it would have come with originally from the factory plus Lathe Chisels and on a bench.

_
10ER R41856.jpg
10ER R41856.jpg (94.78 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Lastly selling it locally is the easiest way to go. These tools are heavy at around 200 pounds for just the Shopsmith itself so shipping them can be costly.

We are happy to help with Shopsmith information but just to let anyone reading this post know the Shopsmith Forum is not the place for selling them. Shopsmith provides this forum to us free of charge, so we respect that they are still in the business of selling Shopsmith's and their accessories.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ChiefWahoo
Bronze Member

Post by ChiefWahoo »

Good day all.
New to the Shopsmith community and forum. Not trying to highjack anyone's post, but had a few 10e(r) questions.

Found this model in my parents basement and originally thought it to be a Mark model until I realized the difference in the power head.

Any opinions on what years this is potentially and if there is any value as is? Motor runs and lots of attachments were there.

Serial #85960

Thanks in advance and have a good day.
File size was too big to post the unit itself. I'll try again
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

ChiefWahoo,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

If it is a Model 10ER similar to the one I show in my earlier post and is serial number 85960 it would have been made in late 1952 or more likely early 1953. There is no actual date of manufacture records for the Model 10E or 10ER. I say similar because the one in my earlier post was made before changes to the Model 10ER that yours would have. Many changes were made to the Model 10's during their production. Also, the motor on my 10ER shown does not have the A. O. Smith motor that was more common to them.

As to the value that goes back to what has previously been said. Basically condition, completeness and location are the most important things along with any extras. Beyond that it is what buyers are willing to pay and how long you are willing to wait to sell it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.