What is the best way to fix this hand rail without replacing?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Deicer
Silver Member

What is the best way to fix this hand rail without replacing?

Post by Deicer »

What is the best method to repair this hand rail without replacing or removing?
Attachments
messages_0 (2).jpeg
messages_0 (2).jpeg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
messages_0 (1).jpeg
messages_0 (1).jpeg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: What is the best way to fix this hand rail without replacing?

Post by JPG »

That will depend upon what yer definition of "fixed" is.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

My opinion and the way I would fix it is, I would smooth the area so no one can get a splinter for now. Then I would get a piece of similar wood same grain direction and whittle it to fit into the area. Take your time and do a really good job. Once you got it to fit I would glue it in place sprinkling same wood fine saw dust around joint to combine with glue and fill little voids. Once dry sand and refinish. No one will ever notice.
If the fix is noticeable adjust the story of how the damage happened and make it an interesting and perhaps exciting or thrilling story. Anybody asks you can then tell the story and 99% of people that do ask and hear the story will say wow and move on. 😝
Deicer
Silver Member

Post by Deicer »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:05 am My opinion and the way I would fix it is, I would smooth the area so no one can get a splinter for now. Then I would get a piece of similar wood same grain direction and whittle it to fit into the area. Take your time and do a really good job. Once you got it to fit I would glue it in place sprinkling same wood fine saw dust around joint to combine with glue and fill little voids. Once dry sand and refinish. No one will ever notice.
If the fix is noticeable adjust the story of how the damage happened and make it an interesting and perhaps exciting or thrilling story. Anybody asks you can then tell the story and 99% of people that do ask and hear the story will say wow and move on. 😝
Thank you. I think this is the way.-Jim :)
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

You could round over the edges entirely (think palm router) ..changing the profile of the rail and removing the gashed area...but thats an aesthetic choice :)

b
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

I agree with Ed in Tampa. That is the way to go, if you have a piece that matches grain and color. Before fitting the new piece, though, I would square up the ends of the damaged area and use a sharp chisel to get a nice flat between the ends. Then cut your patch to the exact length, but leave it thick enough to "stand proud", that is, so it is sticking out on both faces. Glue and clamp, then plane it flush. Finish as Ed described.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser