Mark VII Impeller

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ash1562
Gold Member

Mark VII Impeller

Post by Ash1562 »

Hello -- I've been looking through the many previous posts about this topic but can't find the answer, so thought to post anew here. Thanks in advance for your time and answers.

1. There's a small o-ring (it's really like an omega shape, but I don't know what it's actually called) behind the castle nut that keeps the impeller blade on the idler shaft. Over use, this o-ring comes out of the groove onto which it's supposed to sit and jams the impeller blade against the headstock body and it can't spin freely. I've tried replacing the o-ring but still it persists. I finger-tighten the castle nut as well -- what am I doing wrong?

2. I saw a few posts about lubricating the impeller blade/idler shaft but not sure what that exactly means or what sort of lubricant is recommended -- any comments?

3. There were a few comments about the added noise. To be sure, it's louder but not _much_ louder. But someone said the "impeller could be worn and needs to be replaced" if it's too loud - what does this mean? the blade needs to be replaced?

4. Lastly, is there a way to test if the impeller is working properly? I know this isn't a vacuum system so I can't just go around sucking up sawdust but how do I know if it's working as intended? Is it simply if I sneeze less? ha

thanks all!!
Ash
1960's vintage Shopsmith Mark VII with Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Impeller

Post by JPG »

Is it possible the retaining ring is getting stretched when being installed and thus does not grip the shaft(in the groove) tightly? Is the side of the groove worn?

It should suck up sawdust, but not as well as a vacuum.

Replace the impeller? With what from where?

Lubricate the shaft ?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

I realized the cotter pin is missing. Bought one and popped it on. Did I
SmartSelect_20221015_154243_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20221015_154243_Gallery.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 813 times
install this correctly?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mine had an external tooth lock washer.

viewtopic.php?t=11986

Scroll waaaaay down.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

I have the exact same issue with mine. The groove on the motor shaft that the snap ring fits into is worn on mine which allows the snap ring to work it's way out. I ran the motor and used a needle file to clean up the groove and make the edges somewhat square again. I also switched from a snap ring to an e-clip which fit tighter. It worked. However, as mentioned, it's not a great vacuum. I removed it and use a shop vac. If the problem would have persisted my next fix was going to involve drilling a very small hole and adding a roll pin, but the SS vacuum performance simply isn't worth it to me.

As JPG mentioned adding the lock washer will help some, if you fix the snap ring issue. Maybe on yours the cotter pin is all you'll need?

Mike -
Attachments
eclip.jpg
eclip.jpg (16.22 KiB) Viewed 755 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

Thanks a lot, Mike. I feel validated. I also filed the groove and so far, the retaining ring is holding. The cotter pin is also working but it's not been too many hours yet of use.

I debate the efficacy of this impeller constantly. I know to not expect it to be a shop vac but more of a high volume/low pressure deal. But, since everything else on this machine is genius and simple in design, the purist in me says trust the wise ones who made this. Or maybe, back then shop vacs were crap and this is all they had!
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

Does anyone know how or where to get more of those spring clamps that fit on the blower housing? Mine has only ever had one and I've always just used tape, which probably isn't the best idea.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I would be more inclined to install the cotter pin turned 90 deg, so the ends wrap around the nut, rather than sticking out.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,