jointer cutter guard

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

80spiders
Gold Member

jointer cutter guard

Post by 80spiders »

Just purchased a used jointer - a model 505681-B serial #SS15321. It looks complete with the exception of the spindle hub. A specific question is should the cutter guard (the pork chop) have any spring tension on it. This one just flops around with no resistance.
The blades have no chips and are sharp but not razor sharp. Since i have never had a jointer before, I don't know if I should order blades when I order the spindle hub. The shipping costs are so high from Shopsmith that I like to consolidate as much as I will need in one order but then that can lead to overbuying.
For those of you that have upgraded, do you recommend for the money the new blade guard with the feather board and the dust collection system?
Any other comments or suggestions?
Thanks.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: jointer cutter guard

Post by garys »

The guard will have spring tension if you prewind it a bit before putting it on the deck. Maybe your spring is broken or missing, or maybe it just needs to be prewound a turn or so. It lifts right off the deck. Check it out.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

DO NOT USE the jointer WITHOUT the blade guard. Some one lost a thumb, doing that.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Re the blades - how wide are they. If less than 11/16" or almost that narrow a new set is advised. I would keep a spare set on hand.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Tom at WoodshopNerdery has a short video about the jointer guard. You can see how the old style guard is supposed to function as well as what it looks like with a failing tension spring. He also discuses the new guard and walks you through the upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S69Wb6is14

For a more comprehensive discussion of the Shopsmith jointer you might be interested in some of the YouTube videos that Scot Markwood / mygrowthrings has on his channel

https://www.youtube.com/c/MyGrowthRings/videos
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

Thank you all for the comments, recommendations, suggestions and links. Very helpful.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have a Jointer a bit older than yours. I upgraded it with the Feather Guard and the Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit. The dust collection is a great upgrade for older Jointers without it. I do have to mention for anyone reading this that has the Model 4E Jointer for the Model 10's that the dust chute will not work on that model only. The Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit also includes a couple safety upgrades. The Feather Guard and the Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit does require some drilling and tapping to install. If your current Cutter Guard is damaged, you could try to find a used replacement or get the upgrade. I do like the upgraded Feather Guard.

There is a Planer/Jointer Knife Sharpening system available. It is very easy to setup and use especially for sharpening Jointer Knives. I would recommend it if you plan to use you Jointer very much. An extra set of Jointer Knives is a good idea too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:13 pm I have a Jointer a bit older than yours. I upgraded it with the Feather Guard and the Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit. The dust collection is a great upgrade for older Jointers without it. I do have to mention for anyone reading this that has the Model 4E Jointer for the Model 10's that the dust chute will not work on that model only. The Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit also includes a couple safety upgrades. The Feather Guard and the Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit does require some drilling and tapping to install. If your current Cutter Guard is damaged, you could try to find a used replacement or get the upgrade. I do like the upgraded Feather Guard.

There is a Planer/Jointer Knife Sharpening system available. It is very easy to setup and use especially for sharpening Jointer Knives. I would recommend it if you plan to use you Jointer very much. An extra set of Jointer Knives is a good idea too.
Russ, thank you for your post. I have ordered the feather guard and dust chute upgrades. Looking forward to getting this new piece of equipment into service.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

80spiders wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:07 am
chapmanruss wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:13 pm I have a Jointer a bit older than yours. I upgraded it with the Feather Guard and the Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit. The dust collection is a great upgrade for older Jointers without it. I do have to mention for anyone reading this that has the Model 4E Jointer for the Model 10's that the dust chute will not work on that model only. The Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit also includes a couple safety upgrades. The Feather Guard and the Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit does require some drilling and tapping to install. If your current Cutter Guard is damaged, you could try to find a used replacement or get the upgrade. I do like the upgraded Feather Guard.

Russ, thank you for your post. I have ordered the feather guard and dust chute upgrades. Looking forward to getting this new piece of equipment into service.
Do you have the conical disc sander?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
80spiders
Gold Member

Post by 80spiders »

I do not have the conical sander.