Replacement screws for power head

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

Replacement screws for power head

Post by steverboss »

Can anybody tell me how to identify the black oxide coated dull point sheet metal type screws used to hold all the sheet metal onto the power head? And maybe where you may have found them. They appear to be #8-16 1/2 inch long blunt point round head Phillips sheet metal screws with a black oxide finish. I’m painting the head & want to install all new screws without ordering them one by one from SS.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Replacement screws for power head

Post by DLB »

I went with pointy standard sheet metal screws in stainless. If I was trying again, I'd take a closer look at Thread Rolling Screws. I'm not sure it's right though. I ran into another application in plastic with what looked like a flat point sheet metal screw and I now think this is what they were. Pretty much indistinguishable from a sheet metal screw with a flattened point, which is what I used for this other application. Here is a spec, if at all helpful:
https://www.fastenal.com/content/produc ... .SS.12.pdf

Problem is that I don't know for certain that the other application was these either. I can report that I'm happier with the stainless pointy screws than the black oxide flat point ones. Black oxide does not do that well where I live. My Greenie, already 25 years old when I got it, was tapped for machine screws. I don't know if this was ever normal, but it works.

- David