Leveling planer table?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagspoo
Gold Member

Leveling planer table?

Post by eagspoo »

Hi, I had to completely disassemble my Mark V mounted planer to de-rust and restore it. It looks great but I'm not really sure how to 100% level the table before putting the chain back on. Is it good enough to just wind the table all the way down and that is "level" where I can put the chain on then? Or after I set the knives is there a way I should level the table with respect to the blades? I tried googling for the planer manual which I also couldn't find so maybe my answer is in there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Leveling planer table?

Post by JPG »

Any thing( a small engine valve) or a block of hard wood that can act as a gauge between the top of the table and the cross braces that hold the sides in. Those side braces are what the blades are aligned to as well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

ok, yeah I had two pieces of wood exactly the same thickness that I placed onto the lower cross braces *under* the table, then lowered each screw until the table sat flush on those blocks, put the chain on. Worked great and was very easy, thanks!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

UNDER?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange