ID help, pen blank?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

ID help, pen blank?

Post by reible »

I'm making pens again and found two blanks with the number 9313 written on them. It is not my handwriting so I have to guess that where ever I purchased them marked them so I could ID them at some point. A google search yielded no useful links.

So does anyone know who marks their blanks like this? And or what kind of wood it is?
9313.jpg
9313.jpg (129.94 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Strips are saw marks and not grain I think.......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: ID help, pen blank?

Post by dusty »

Sorry, Ed. I don't turn and have no idea what the numbers mean.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If these are blanks you purchased yourself at some time in the past, try to remember what places you might have purchased them. Then, look at those companies' websites and search for that number. It might lead you to the information you want.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Maybe plane one surface or a corner to help with ID?

- David
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

It's a bit hard to tell with it being rough cut, but maybe lacewood.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My searching has turned up nothing new. Went through the last years worth of receipts and found nothing. Now for all I know I purchased these blanks a few or more years back but that search would then become exhaustive. I checked the mail order places I buy blanks but found nothing with this number. Searched two piles of woodworking related papers and nothing there. Think this has going to have to be an unknown wood......

When I first started making pens I didn't keep records and didn't label the wood of the pens. After a couple of years and numerous requests I started printing up labels to go with each pen if I knew what the wood was. In some cases I got blanks without labels from bargain bins or bulk sales, then I could guess some of them but preferred not to do that in case I was wrong.

At this point I have made pens out of 40 known woods since I've kept track. Even some of those are actually in question, ie "from Indonesia"???? So this will have to go unlabeled and there have been maybe 10 to a dozen blanks like that in the past. I have also turned some plastics and some with embedded things like coffee beans. I don't like turning the plastic as they all seem to stink?

I've also had a few requests, they supply the wood and I make the pen. One was some what I would guess was maple flooring??? I also have a stave from a whiskey barrel to try and make a few pens out of.... not sure that is going to work as the wood is not in good condition and curved so not much to work with but I will give it a try.

Thanks for the help.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The whiskey barrel stave is white oak.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Turned one of the blanks, pretty much bland in nature.

Since I give away my pens I think perhaps someone might pick it but in the past the very light color pens always go last....
white pen.jpg
white pen.jpg (162.59 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
I think I will tag it with the number 9313 in case at some point I find out how that is related to the type of wood.

Ed