GFCI Protection

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

GFCI Protection

Post by DLB »

I have a pool, which from an electrical perspective is essentially a sub-panel with assorted 230V and 115V circuits. When installed, only lights needed to be on GFCI, and are on a GFCI CB. In the ever-changing NEC requirements, pumps now need to be on GFCI. And this requirement is somewhat unique in that if you replace a load device (pump) you are required to retrofit the circuit. There are three 230 V pumps on their own CBs. My question: What about making the whole sub-panel GFCI with one expensive CB instead of making each individual circuit GFCI (3 X expensive) at the output of the sub-panel?

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: GFCI Protection

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

Will the code allow making the entire sub-panel GFCI as opposed to the individual circuits? Are there any circuits in that sub-panel that for some reason shouldn't be GFCI? Would it be more desirable to have the circuits individually GFCI protected so if one circuit trips the others remain operational?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think I would stick with individual branch circuit GFCI protection. Less $$$ and more flexible.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

David,

I would agree with JPG here. Individual ones would give you more flexibility and troubleshooting capability if & when it does trip. Also, if there are any 120V only circuits inside the panel that could be problematic, I would think. Your post intrigued me enough to Google it and I found an interesting discussion at the forum link below. I would have assumed GFCI main breakers don't exist, but apparently some electricians are installing pool service panels with GFCI protecting all of it. Either I am wrong, or they are just putting the GFCI on the main panel to protect the service panel, i.e. GFCI main breakers aren't available. Differing opinions on the thread linked below so should be worth a read for you. Good luck.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/gfc ... s.2560388/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:27 am David,

I would agree with JPG here. Individual ones would give you more flexibility and troubleshooting capability if & when it does trip. Also, if there are any 120V only circuits inside the panel that could be problematic, I would think. Your post intrigued me enough to Google it and I found an interesting discussion at the forum link below. I would have assumed GFCI main breakers don't exist, but apparently some electricians are installing pool service panels with GFCI protecting all of it. Either I am wrong, or they are just putting the GFCI on the main panel to protect the service panel, i.e. GFCI main breakers aren't available. Differing opinions on the thread linked below so should be worth a read for you. Good luck.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/gfc ... s.2560388/
Thanks. It is interesting to see the different opinions in that link. I think for new installation in areas that require NEC 2020,putting a GFCI CB in the main panel is mandatory. The NEC has added protection for essentially everything external to the typical home, includes things like A/C compressors/condensers and septic systems. I can't imagine any part of the pool equipment being an exception to that. But there is no retrofit requirement unless branch circuits are modified or pool pumps are replaced.

- David