Just got a 10E

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sossman76
Bronze Member

Just got a 10E

Post by sossman76 »

Just picked up a 10E - probably paid too much for it after reading up on it, but I got excited thinking it was a great deal.

Anyways - it has a lot of stuff with it, I'm not sure if it has all the parts, and I don't even know if the motor runs since the plug is damaged and I have to rewire it. The motor and power head turn freely with no noise.

Serial number 18644 - I know that probably won't put a date on anything, but if it does I would love to know.

I'll try to post pictures of the actual unit without all the 'goodies' that were included when I get a chance to take the pictures, but here's what I have.
IMG-4127.jpg
IMG-4127.jpg (397.43 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
IMG-4128.jpg
IMG-4128.jpg (432.14 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
IMG-4129.jpg
IMG-4129.jpg (401.72 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
IMG-4132.jpg
IMG-4132.jpg (345.85 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Just got a 10E

Post by chapmanruss »

sossman76,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum and congratulations on your new to you Shopsmith Model 10E. Serial Number 18644 would have been made in 1948. I can't tell from the pictures if it has everything that originally came with it but there are some extras. The most notable extra is the Magna 4" Jointer Model 620 on the Special Jointer Mounting Headrest. That is definitely a plus and increases the value of what you purchased. A previous owner made a rear fence lock for the Rip Fence. I don't see the Upper Saw Blade Guard but the Splitter for it is there. The Wood Extension Table and Bracket it should have are not visible in the pictures. Some of the Saw Blades shown look a little big in the pictures. The Model 10E and 10ER used 8" Diameter Saw Blades. The condition of the power cord is not surprising. I replace the original power cords and switches on all my Model 10 restorations. The motor probably works but may need a little cleaning out inside. I have yet to have one of these old A. O. Smith motors fail. With less cluttered pictures we can help you identify items you may be unsure of. There are items that are not Shopsmith parts in your pictures.

If you need an Owner's Guide for this, a PDF one is available under the Maintenance and Repair section titled Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first four topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. On his google drive is a heading for 10E & 10ER and the Completed Model 10E Restored Owner's Manual is the one for your Model 10E. If you look under the heading Jointer you will find a PDF of the Manual for the Magna 4" Jointer. This Jointer Manual is from the 1960 but there were only minor part changes made to the Jointer between the time yours was made and this manual was produced.

A Model 10E (S/N 19541) I restored that is near to your 10E is shown in the picture below. It is complete with everything It would have come with from the factory plus Lathe Chisels and on a bench.

_
19541 restored.jpg
19541 restored.jpg (90.16 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Russ,
On your plywood extension table, did you replace the original wood and what, if anything, did you finish it with?
BPR
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have made replacements for several Wood Extension Tables. I make them from 3/4" Plywood, cabinet grade that has 5 layers. In fact I have two of them cutout and waiting to have the holes drilled followed by a Varathane finish to help protect them. They are for Model 10E's serial numbers 1033 and 1076 that I am close to finishing their restorations. Original Wood Extensions Tables I have had come on Model 10E's generally are not in very good condition and I believe were unfinished. There were two versions of the Wood Extension Tables made for the Model 10E as shown in the picture below. Both have extra holes drilled in them by previous owners.

_
10E Wood Extension Table - both versions r.jpg
10E Wood Extension Table - both versions r.jpg (162.6 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
The top one is the later one and should be the version yours would use. It attaches to the Base Top Bar and Extension Bracket using 1/4" flat head machine screws, washers and nuts. Below is a close up of the Extension Table Assembly with the Fence mounted on S/N 1077. Unfortunately, the Fence covers the mounting of the wood top to the bar and bracket. This Model 10E uses the early Wood Top version.

_
10E Fence on Wood Extension Table.jpg
10E Fence on Wood Extension Table.jpg (136.03 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Did the 10E come from the factory with the wood table top?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

My bad, The Extension Table question was from ryanbp01 but I answered it as thought it was from the OP, sossman76. The Wood Extension Table for sossman76's Model 10E was likely the later version for serial number 18644. BPR sorry for any confusion.

As for the Extension Table being wood from the factory, Model 10E's from the Western Plant were still coming out with Wood Extension Tables in that serial number range. From the Eastern Plant they had Metal Extension Table for that serial number range with their serial numbers having an ER prefix and were already Model 10ER's. Keep in mind that the Eastern Plant serial numbers were behind the Western Plant serial numbers. S/N 18644 from the Western Plant was likely made prior to the Eastern Plant opening.
Russ

Mark V 520
sossman76
Bronze Member

Post by sossman76 »

I've started the disassembly and cleaning process. I had to put anything after that on hold due to a back surgery. I am very anxious to get it put back together. With that being said, are there stands for sale that go with these, or just the wooden table plans that I saw in one of the manuals online?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

sossman76,

I hope the back surgery goes well.

Originally Magna Engineering Corporation only had plans for a wood bench which was included with the Owner's Guide and other paperwork. There are a couple different versions of the wood bench plans. Later Magna came up with a pair of metal Bench Ends that uses two 2" x 8" x either 60" or 57" long boards for a bench. The difference in the board lengths depends on when your Model 10 was made and the size of the Base and Headrest. Even later Magna came up with retractable casters for the benches that went on the metal bench ends and could also be used on the wooden benches.

Below is one of the Wood Benches I made following the Magna plans.

_
Wood Model 10 Bench.jpg
Wood Model 10 Bench.jpg (85.77 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
I made 2 of these and they will hold S/N's 1076 and 1077. These benches now have the retractable casters mounted on them. This bench is similar to the frame of the bench you have but yours has different top boards.

Below is an example of the Metal Bench Ends and 2x8 wood top Bench. This one is 60" long as it has a Model 10E on it. It has the Retractable Casters mounted.

_
1077 on bench r.jpg
1077 on bench r.jpg (112.87 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
The bench in my previous post is one I made using an angle iron welded frame and locking casters.
Russ

Mark V 520
RandyO
Bronze Member

Post by RandyO »

I just got a 10ER, haven't sorted out what attachments I have with it yet, appears to be in good condition, been sitting a while, but someone doused it in WD40/kept it nice and shiny. I'm assuming it's a 1952 model without looking up serial numbers, the owners manual with it, in perfect condition, was published Feb 52.

I bought it to use primarily as a lathe and for horizontal boring. I have a drill press, table saw, and radial arm saw (an old AMF era Dewalt)

for now, I'm reading this forum, and my owners manual before I go out to my shop and start familiarizing with it
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Welcome! IF you encounter any 'problem' while familiarizing we are here to help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange