Headstock lock

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CPOWELL243
Bronze Member

Headstock lock

Post by CPOWELL243 »

I would appreciate some help with my headstock lock problem. The lock was jammed so I removed the original lock mechanism with a hacksaw and ordered a replacement mechanism. The part arrived but I can't seem to remove the handle from the rod. The new part does not have a pin installed but it will neither screw off or come off with a mallet. Instructions I have read say I need to install the rod first and then add the handle but I can't get the handle off. ???
Th
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Headstock lock

Post by edma194 »

There should be a roll pin in the handle that has to be removed with a pin punch or similar instrument. You might be able to reuse that roll pin but I usually replace them. I usually use a cotter pin or a nail that fits initially until I'm sure I won't have to remove the handle again soon.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

CPOWELL243 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:42 pm I would appreciate some help with my headstock lock problem. The lock was jammed so I removed the original lock mechanism with a hacksaw and ordered a replacement mechanism. The part arrived but I can't seem to remove the handle from the rod. The new part does not have a pin installed but it will neither screw off or come off with a mallet. Instructions I have read say I need to install the rod first and then add the handle but I can't get the handle off. ???
Th
When you say it does not have a pin, do you mean it has a hole for one but no pin in the hole? That would make sense. If there is no pin and no hole I have never seen one like that. The rod has a LH thread end and a RH thread end. It has been a while, but IIRC the handle goes on the LH thread end. So if that's correct, you might be trying to screw it farther on when you think you are trying to screw it off. I can check the shop and make sure I'm telling you right, but that's the first thing I'd check. It sometimes helps to grasp the center part of the rod with locking pliers or similar, but be careful to stay clear of the threads the wedge locks normally ride. On ones I've seen, the center portion is not threaded, that's the part to grab if needed.

- David
CPOWELL243
Bronze Member

Post by CPOWELL243 »

Thank you both for replies. That was the problem - turning the handle RH instead of LH. Handle now removed from the rod. Now confused re: how to get the rod installed with the wedges in place. Shopsmith instructions say "Turn the rod until the wedges are 1" to 1 1/2" from rod ends and are free of casting." Not sure what that means. Do I need to remove the wedges? If so, how -they seems permanently in place. Th
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The wedge will unthread from the ends of your cut rod. Corrosion can make that difficult. Clean the exposed threads with a brush, get some penetrating oil into to the wedge threads and work them down the rod. Be careful, it's a steel rod but the wedges are made of aluminum and the internal threads can get damaged easily. Consider a new pair of wedges since you're getting a new rod.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

CPOWELL243 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:21 pm Thank you both for replies. That was the problem - turning the handle RH instead of LH. Handle now removed from the rod. Now confused re: how to get the rod installed with the wedges in place. Shopsmith instructions say "Turn the rod until the wedges are 1" to 1 1/2" from rod ends and are free of casting." Not sure what that means. Do I need to remove the wedges? If so, how -they seems permanently in place. Th
You want to turn both wedges in toward the center, this allows enough free play to get the assembly in or out of the headstock. Once the wedges are turned in, insert the handle end in the headstock hole far enough for the other end to clear, then insert it into the headstock. The procedure should than tell you how to preset the wedges. The DIY PowerPro video does a good job presenting this, but you have to filter out a lot of other data to see the part you want: https://www.shopsmith.com/shopsmithpowerpro/pp_diy.htm It is the second video on the page, starts a tick under 1:16:00 in. Ignore the plastic wrap and washers, those are unique to PowerPro.

So yes, you should be able to remove the wedges. But only need the handle off to install the assembly.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:08 am You want to turn both wedges in toward the center, this allows enough free play to get the assembly in or out of the headstock.
He cut the rod with a hacksaw to start with. Unnecessary if he understood the direction of the screw on the handle end. I started giving him the same instructions before remembering the rod was already cut.
Ed from Rhode Island

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:37 pm
DLB wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:08 am You want to turn both wedges in toward the center, this allows enough free play to get the assembly in or out of the headstock.
He cut the rod with a hacksaw to start with. Unnecessary if he understood the direction of the screw on the handle end. I started giving him the same instructions before remembering the rod was already cut.
From the first post, I think he got a new one. And I think it was the new one he was trying to get the handle off. I see now that it might not be as clear as I thought though. And not being able to remove the wedges from the new 'mechanism' doesn't make obvious sense, someone put them on there. I kinda overlooked that, thinking he doesn't need to take them off anyway (if my other assumptions were correct.)

This got me thinking though. When I built my PowerPro, I removed the handle. Twice, cuz just like the video instruction I left out those washers. And that pin was seriously tight the first time. I think the right answer was zero, you don't have to take the handle off because you just need one side to come out so you can remove one wedge lock.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:11 pm
This got me thinking though. When I built my PowerPro, I removed the handle. Twice, cuz just like the video instruction I left out those washers. And that pin was seriously tight the first time. I think the right answer was zero, you don't have to take the handle off because you just need one side to come out so you can remove one wedge lock.
I did the same thing and never realized I could put the washers on just by removing the back side wedge. I did manage to remember to put the washers and plastic coil stuff on before getting the whole assembly in place when I swapped parts around between 2 PowerPros recently to diagnose a problem. Must have been unusually focused that day. I think my overall average number of attempts at doing things is 2 at a minimum.
Ed from Rhode Island

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:21 pm I did the same thing and never realized I could put the washers on just by removing the back side wedge. I did manage to remember to put the washers and plastic coil stuff on before getting the whole assembly in place when I swapped parts around between 2 PowerPros recently to diagnose a problem. Must have been unusually focused that day. I think my overall average number of attempts at doing things is 2 at a minimum.
Jim McMann left them off too, in that otherwise excellent video. I know others have mentioned leaving them off, I'm sure that is the reason. Maybe there was an early version that excluded the washers.(?) Which, I know from experience, allows the plastic wrap to interfere with the wedge lock threads.

- David