Today in the shop "Take two on door trim"

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop "Take two on door trim"

Post by reible »

A while back I was working on door trim and dealing with using domino's rather then the other methods I have used in the past. Well after getting my first trim set assembled and all painted up I brought it up and put it in place. I didn't like it at all. Good thing I didn't do multiple sets.

So after a rework of design I made another version. The routing has been done and now I have to do finish sanding and painting as well as assembly. Thought I would show where things stand as of now.
td2.jpg
td2.jpg (251.53 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Got the corner blocks on sale and while I could make them it is a bit more work that I don't need to do. This will be painted so mismatched wood look is not going to be an issue. I did decide to add some detail to get the "look" I liked by rabbeting as seen here:
td6.jpg
td6.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
A bit of detail on the blocks, again I went with the domino. The parts are small but having the right tool makes this easy. The vertical Domino holder is certainly useful, shown here:
td1.jpg
td1.jpg (213.19 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
This picture doesn't show the clamps that you have to use to safely hold the small part to the machine. The Narrow Frame Fence makes this super simple since the blocks and the parts are the same width. Used the tight setting on all parts.

The rabbet I did with my Dewalt router, battery version and the Veritas base. The bit is from Lee Valley and works really well in this smaller size rabbet bit form factor.
td4.jpg
td4.jpg (184.41 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
td5.jpg
td5.jpg (175.77 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
To insure nice square corners I used scrap wood on each side of the work piece as seen here:
td3.jpg
td3.jpg (165.51 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
So far I'm liking the redesign.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop "Take two on door trim"

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Looks like you built your own Domino dock. Too late now, but just as an fyi Ramon Valdez is fairly well known in the Festool community for the Domino dock that he designed and sold. Seneca Woodworking now sells his product, but I bought mine directly from Ramon. It was cheaper when I bought it directly from him, but then again Baltic Birch is A LOT more expensive now...

https://www.senecawoodworking.com/produ ... mino-df500

https://ramonvaldezfinefurniture.com/pr ... ino-df500/
DominoDock.jpg
DominoDock.jpg (88.59 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Do you like that Dewalt palm/trim router? I've been thinking about a battery router for awhile. My drills/drivers are on the Dewalt system, so been considering sticking to Dewalt to minimize battery clutter..but the Dewalt is quite expensive compared to others.

b
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had the corded version before I ever got the battery one. I too have several other Dewalt battery tools so the same battery platform was a plus as was the use of common other parts from the other router. I have a small MFT style table mounted on my shopsmith and added a drop on small router table that works well with the compact style router. I get a lot of use out of the pair and would without a doubt replace them if they were to fail or be stolen. Would not want to be without them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]