JessEm's Pow-R-Tek SR Router - ER20 collets and "special" cooling

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: JessEm's Pow-R-Tek SR Router - ER20 collets and "special" cooling

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:17 pm P.S. Related to the PowerPro cooling thread a while back, I still wonder if there isn't some way to implement something similar to what JessEm has on this router for a fresh air inlet/outlet to the StriaTech motor inside of the PowerPro headstock. IF it is a TEFC motor then it is just a matter of getting fresh, clean air to that motor fan, i.e. no additional cooling would be needed (passive solution) - just let the existing fan do the work.
So those black perforated circle at the bottom of the router are air inlets? Or an inlet and an outlet? The PowerPro motor appears to draw air through the motor by a centrifugal fan but I haven't looked carefully at it enough to say that's all there is to it. I wonder if there's enough space between the pulley and the motor for an inlet shroud, and I don't know if the fan can maintain positive airflow in the rest of the headstock sufficient to keep sawdust out. I also wonder how well the motor cools at low speeds since the fan is limited to spindle RPM.

In general though, designing a system from the ground up as JessEm probably did, the ideal would be having the motor fan provide all needed cooling and positive air pressure in the machine housing. Maybe a SS headstock is close to being able to do that.

An additional note, it's not that much of a test, recently running the bandsaw for at least a half hour as i cut a bunch of pieces with a jig I felt the belt cover and it was pretty warm which the motor pan seemed to remain at room temperature. So belt generated heat is another cooling requirement as discussed previously.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:57 pm So those black perforated circle at the bottom of the router are air inlets? Or an inlet and an outlet? The PowerPro motor appears to draw air through the motor by a centrifugal fan but I haven't looked carefully at it enough to say that's all there is to it. I wonder if there's enough space between the pulley and the motor for an inlet shroud, and I don't know if the fan can maintain positive airflow in the rest of the headstock sufficient to keep sawdust out. I also wonder how well the motor cools at low speeds since the fan is limited to spindle RPM.

In general though, designing a system from the ground up as JessEm probably did, the ideal would be having the motor fan provide all needed cooling and positive air pressure in the machine housing. Maybe a SS headstock is close to being able to do that.

An additional note, it's not that much of a test, recently running the bandsaw for at least a half hour as i cut a bunch of pieces with a jig I felt the belt cover and it was pretty warm which the motor pan seemed to remain at room temperature. So belt generated heat is another cooling requirement as discussed previously.
Ed,

Yeah, if you look at the YouTube video I posted from them it shows them getting hooked up and they show them connecting these hoses to outside of the cabinet. In the product description they say these are air inlets and they talk about this router design not having an air outlet at the collet side so as to not interfere with dust/chip collection near the router bit. Instead there is another kind of air port around the periphery of the router base, but below the top surface (router bit side). My presumption is that those two air "ports" are inlets on the "bottom" of the router and they draw in fresh, cool, clean air from outside of the router cabinet and then it travels internal to the router and exhausts out this top portion around the sides at the "top" of the router. Just an assumption until they publish more details. JessEm also mentioned they intend to release their own dust hood/box to encase this router with router lift so presumably these will be short hose connections from the router to draw fresh air from outside of the dust collection box, but probably still inside of the overall router cabinet.

As for the PowerPro, I would agree with you. What I stated is probably not "easy" to accomplish, but I was just trying to give a possible option based on David's comment previously on the other thread. I don't have a PowerPro so I can't say definitively, but I think he has a good point about trying to get more efficiency out of the existing fan that is on the end of the StriaTech motor, if it is a TEFC style motor. Better to draw in cooler, clean outside air into the headstock and let that fan do its work...or at least that is one thought on it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, the pre-order is finally up for this item on Jessem's website. Only a "bit" (pun intended) more info than what I posted before. It is $499.99 on preorder and expected to ship in early December 2022. In the video below they talk about the "issues" they believe handheld routers mounted in a router table have today which are:
  • overheating in a dust box
  • fan blowing dust upwards
  • single bearing
To solve these issues they are using two 31k RPM angular contact (spindle) bearings and a patent pending new airflow system. The airflow system is what I thought it is, i.e. those are two air inlets on the bottom of the router and instead of airflow exiting out the top, it exits out the sides near the top, but below the table. Honestly, I don't see how this is an improvement. IF you are using a router lift like Jessem's Mast-R-Lift™ II and a dust box around the router then dust collection will be drawing air down around the bit, but having that much air volume exit near the top of the router will still compromise dust collection and chip clear out near the bit above the table (or at least create a lot of air turbulence in that area). In other words, I only see it as maybe a slight improvement and would want to see it in action, in person, to determine if this new airflow exit makes sense. I guess the one benefit of not having air exit ports on top of the router is not having dust fall into the router motor from the table opening. Also, if you are running a router lift and dust box with dust collection, why wouldn't the large airflow from the DC give more than adequate airflow for cooling the router? Does adding a fresh air intake really help with this? The air inlet concept is an interesting choice, but I'd want to see it with air filters on it...otherwise dust laden shop air is likely to gum up the internals of the router motor IMHO. I still wonder how many hobbyists or production woodworking shops have actually had routers burn up due to overheating? I am sure they exist, but just wondering how big of an issue this really is for the general market. The variable speed control box is nice, but still no more info on it, though I suspect it is closed loop control. Runout is still not listed for some reason - even though it is a "want" in the marketing video below. Another want is easy change brushes but no info on that, but I suspect it is probably similar to other beefy routers.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

It is a pretty attractive option but clearly not intended to compete on price. Compatible lifts are pricey too, another consideration for those of us that either don't have a lift or have an incompatible lift. Meanwhile many of the 'handhelds' have incorporated lift-like features into their bases, such as adjusting depth from above the table. My current under-table router is also my primary handheld and my overarm motor, not optimum for the under-table role, but great to excellent at all three. I love the ER-20 collet approach, remote locating the speed control, and displaying speed in RPM. If I was considering either an all new high-end router table system or a major upgrade that included a dedicated under-table router I would want this router, and might be willing to pay the 500 bucks for it. I'm pretty pleased with the other JessEm products I've bought, enough so that I usually forget how much they cost within a year or so.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

David,

Yeah, I agree. I am a big fan of Jessem tools and own several, but that doesn't mean that I ignore product issues which is why I tried to point out the pros and cons, as I see them, for this product. I only pulled the trigger on my Mast-R-Lift™ II router lift after seeing it under their "Factory Specials" category on their website. So, I bought it at a significant discount. I highly recommend shopping for this on their website if anyone is in the market for Jessem tools. Had it been full price, I probably still wouldn't have pulled the trigger on it just yet. IF I hadn't already bought my Milwaukee beefy router, I would be seriously considering this Jessem one. I do wonder how much integrated lifts in routers have impacted the market for standalone router lifts, though in the reviews I have seen there are cons for them as well so not for everyone. What I like about this particular product from Jessem is they approached it from the standpoint of how do we make the best possible stationary router to incorporate into a dedicated router table, i.e. no compromises like you have for making a dual duty tool (handheld and router table mounted). I question who really does this anyway. I mean by the time you buy a big beefy router and stick it into a nice router table, who wants the hassle of mounting/unmounting it each time you want to use it for handheld? Also, max HP beefy routers for dedicated router tables are rather heavy and not suited to most handheld work unless you are spinning a big bit like doing a contour on a big table, etc. Better to buy a small or medium sized router for handheld work IMHO for dexterity and control. The price of this router + lift + table + dust box does start to add up, so at some point you have to ask yourself is it worth it or just go ahead and buy a shaper instead.
📶RF Guy

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, the collet taper on Jessem's new router is supposedly ground to 1/10 of one thousandth. They then measured it with a carbide shift in the ER20 collet and at 2" away from the collet the runout is less than one thousandths of an inch. Seems to be better than anything else on the market in this space...

📶RF Guy

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I came across a used Pow-R-Tek router on eBay and wanted to provide a heads-up. JessEm has evidently produced more than one version of 4.2" 3.25 HP router motor with remote speed control. I either didn't know this or didn't remember it. I'm glad I found out before I bid, because I would have bid way too much. The old version lacks some (maybe many) of the desirable features of the one described in this thread.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:59 pm I came across a used Pow-R-Tek router on eBay and wanted to provide a heads-up. JessEm has evidently produced more than one version of 4.2" 3.25 HP router motor with remote speed control. I either didn't know this or didn't remember it. I'm glad I found out before I bid, because I would have bid way too much. The old version lacks some (maybe many) of the desirable features of the one described in this thread.

- David
David,

Yeah, that is correct. I can't remember the exact name, but it was similar. Jessem tends to do that with its products. Sometimes they come back after an extended time and are slightly renamed, sometimes they are refinements of a running product. I think all that earlier version had was a remote switch, power box that had a tach display from what I remember. I had to do quite a bit of digging before to find info on that original Jessem router, but now that the new product is release it takes over all of the algorithm hits on Google so not easy to find the original to post a pic of it now.
📶RF Guy

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Here is a picture of the one I looked at on eBay. The On/Off switch is different, and there are other visible differences like the provision for cooling air intake hoses on the newer version. This one may share DNA with some others available, but I think is the only one of them with OEM remote speed control. Minimum bid is $185, no takers yet. The similar naming makes it difficult to find applicable reviews.

Old version JessEm table router.jpg
Old version JessEm table router.jpg (391.04 KiB) Viewed 3952 times

- David
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

Hi David,

I own a Jessem Pow-R-Tek that looks very similar to the one in your post. I picked mine up in February of 2019 and have used it a lot over the past 4 years. I bought mine as part of a Jessem router table package and have been very happy with both the router and router table. I like the router because it is powerful, the control box is easy to access and the control knob/STOP are big and easy to adjust.

Before springing for the Jessem system I mounted my Dewalt hand-held router with the Shopsmith router table. I found that system very clunky -- it was hard to set the depth of the bit correctly, I didn't have a decent fence, there was no dust collection -- and as a result I avoided using a stationary router. More to the point, my Shopsmith setup always left me a bit queasy and I didn't like using it.

In my new setup I enclosed the router in a plastic storage container which is attached to a 4" port for dust collection. What you can't see is that there is a "hatch" in the bottom of the container that I can empty errant dust from if needed. I haven't had to do that yet -- there is maybe a cup of chips in the bottom of the box after 4 years -- but it is a nice feature to have. I do a lot of pattern routing and have worked for hours on end with neither dust nor overheating problems.

The new Pow-R-Tek with built-in air flow across the motor is probably an improvement over the earlier Pow-R-Teks. Nevertheless, I think you would be completely happy with its predecessor.

-Erik

P.S. As an aside, there was an interesting discussion recently on the Forum about tools which complement the Shopsmith. My Jessem router setup is one such tool. The others I've added to my shop over the years are a planer (DeWalt 13" planer), joiner (Festool Domino) and orbital sander (Festool ROTEX). My 520 continues to be the heart of my system, but having these supporting tools is really great.

Same vintage Pow-R-Tek router as in DLB's picture
Same vintage Pow-R-Tek router as in DLB's picture
tempImage7gTX2s.gif (224.35 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).