JessEm's Pow-R-Tek SR Router - ER20 collets and "special" cooling

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

JessEm's Pow-R-Tek SR Router - ER20 collets and "special" cooling

Post by RFGuy »

Guess I should have waited on my router purchase last year. JessEm just announced a new router package they are selling that looks intriguing. Posting in case anyone is in the market for a big beefy router for their dedicated router table. It is a 3.25HP router at 4.2" diameter. Supposedly they have special lifetime bearings that can take 30k RPM and offer better performance. One of the "neat" features of this new router is apparently dedicated airflow for cooling. They have two air ports on the end of the router that they show hooking up to hoses that leave the router cabinet. These are indicated as clean air inlets, but maybe one is an outlet (not sure)? This is supposed to keep the router motor from overheating which they claim is a common problem (perhaps for production shops). Also unclear exactly how they intend to manage these extra hose hookups because they are supposed to also be coming out with their own dust box to enclose this router package in your router cabinet...will be interesting to see if this is a clone of the Incra dust box or something more inventive. I have always liked the variable speed control box that JessEm had before but it has been out of production for a while now, so glad to see they brought this back with this new setup. No word on pricing yet as it was just announced today. The pièce de résistance of this new router is it actually comes with ER20 collets standard in both 1/4" and 1/2" sizes. Too late for me to go back on my prior purchase, but at least someone finally came out with everything I was searching for last year in a big, beefy dedicated router package. Pre-orders are supposed to be available soon.

P.S. Related to the PowerPro cooling thread a while back, I still wonder if there isn't some way to implement something similar to what JessEm has on this router for a fresh air inlet/outlet to the StriaTech motor inside of the PowerPro headstock. IF it is a TEFC motor then it is just a matter of getting fresh, clean air to that motor fan, i.e. no additional cooling would be needed (passive solution) - just let the existing fan do the work.

https://jessem.com/products/jessems-pow ... ontrol-box

JessEmPowRTekSR.jpg
JessEmPowRTekSR.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
JessEmPowRTekSR_2.jpg
JessEmPowRTekSR_2.jpg (85.33 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
JessEmPowRTekSR_3.jpg
JessEmPowRTekSR_3.jpg (158.32 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
JessEmRouter.jpg
JessEmRouter.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 7582 times
Last edited by RFGuy on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: JessEm's Pow-R-Tek SR Router - ER20 collets and "special" cooling

Post by DLB »

It is pretty intriguing. I like the ER20 approach. Also like that you set RPM in RPM instead of 1 thru 10 or whatever. Makes me wonder if it has RPM feedback and manages RPM in real time like PowerPro and not like any router I have used. I use a Bosch now and it seems to have some degree of speed regulation, infinitely better than my old Craftsman which had none, but I don't think it regulates speed to be constant from no-load to full-load. I think I either read or saw that this comes with a spare set of brushes, so still a brushed motor.(?) Attractive, I'd say, if it is priced competitively.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:14 pm It is pretty intriguing. I like the ER20 approach. Also like that you set RPM in RPM instead of 1 thru 10 or whatever. Makes me wonder if it has RPM feedback and manages RPM in real time like PowerPro and not like any router I have used. I use a Bosch now and it seems to have some degree of speed regulation, infinitely better than my old Craftsman which had none, but I don't think it regulates speed to be constant from no-load to full-load. I think I either read or saw that this comes with a spare set of brushes, so still a brushed motor.(?) Attractive, I'd say, if it is priced competitively.

- David
David,

Yeah, I also like the idea of having more precise control over spindle speed. I would assume they are doing something similar to the Super-PID which is a closed loop router speed controller (equivalent to what the StriaTech does in the PowerPro from a system standpoint on regulating speed @ load). I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one of these and using on my router because I also don't like the 1 through 10 dial arrangement on router speed controls (and no load adjustment). Of course, I would have to open up my router and install the sensor for the tach to use the Super-PID, but it looks like a really nice system. It is the ONLY aftermarket system (closed loop) that I have found. JessEm used to sell a router + speed control (2nd link below), but they stopped selling it. Presumably it was also closed loop, but I am not positive. This new product is what replaces that old system they discontinued.
IF anyone has the Super-PID or knows of any other closed loop aftermarket router controls I would really be interested.

https://www.vhipe.com/product-private/index.htm

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/jess ... ntrol-box/
SUPER_PID.jpg
SUPER_PID.jpg (140.3 KiB) Viewed 7680 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

From the SuperPID website:
Do I need to modify my router to work with Super-PID?
Yes -- Routers with an internal speed control and/or a soft-start feature must be modified to work with Super-PID. This involves removing the router cover and removing/disabling the router internal electronics. We are available for tech support with this router mod. It is a simple and usually reversible modification to your router. Contact us for photo guides of the router mod for your router.

No -- Routers without internal speed control (or routers with speed control and a click-dial-switch to select constant full speed) should not need modification. Note!: Routers with a soft-start feature will require modification. If you are unsure ask about your router model? .

-AND -

USA/Canada/Mexico/Colombia/Venezuela 120v AC model; 1800W 120v AC (suits 15Amp routers, up to 2.5hp)

That's a no-go for me. I don't have a dedicated table router, so I don't want to disable the soft start or internal power control. And when I get a dedicated table router it will likely be rated more than 2.5 HP (Whatever it is that this rating means!). This seems targeted, and more suited, to the CNC world. Probably also useful for OARs, which don't have a specific HP limit but IIRC the SS versions are for up to 3.5" bodies typically found on <2.5HP models.

- David
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Wonder what it will cost?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:55 am That's a no-go for me. I don't have a dedicated table router, so I don't want to disable the soft start or internal power control. And when I get a dedicated table router it will likely be rated more than 2.5 HP (Whatever it is that this rating means!). This seems targeted, and more suited, to the CNC world. Probably also useful for OARs, which don't have a specific HP limit but IIRC the SS versions are for up to 3.5" bodies typically found on <2.5HP models.

- David
David,

I haven't gotten past the investigative stage on this, so I don't have all the answers. However, I didn't interpret their website the same as you. On the router rating it is supposed to be good up to 1800W (120 V, 15A) which they state as 2.5HP. I interpret that as continuous HP and NOT peak HP. My Milwaukee router is 15A and has a max HP of 3.5. Presumably the Super-PID can handle this, but I would have to ask them. They list the routers that have worked with it and welcome contact via e-mail for anyone interested, which is what I will do when I am ready to pull the trigger on this purchase, but it is good you pointed this out because it may not be compatible with all routers. Yes this would only really be applicable for dedicated routers. I think most all corded router today come with built in speed control AND soft start circuitry. This closed loop controller takes over both functions and you can't have competing systems vying for control, so you must install a tach sensor and bypass the soft start on the router.
📶RF Guy

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

That's quite the tool for the person that needs a lot of run time and more precise speed control. It's starting to bridge the gap between a woodworking router and a CNC spindle.

I'm now tracking two woodworking routers with ER collets, this and the SpinRite from Woodpeckers, which I bought ~last year. Both ER20, 3.25HP, and 4.2" dia. The SpinRite's current price is $280; I'm guessing the JessEm will cost substantially more than that.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

roy_okc wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:35 am That's quite the tool for the person that needs a lot of run time and more precise speed control. It's starting to bridge the gap between a woodworking router and a CNC spindle.

I'm now tracking two woodworking routers with ER collets, this and the SpinRite from Woodpeckers, which I bought ~last year. Both ER20, 3.25HP, and 4.2" dia. The SpinRite's current price is $280; I'm guessing the JessEm will cost substantially more than that.
Roy,

Thanks. How are you liking the SpinRite one? Just curious. Yeah, I suspect that JessEm will charge quite a bit for this one, but then again they are known for quality. The thing is they had almost this exact same package a few years ago. It used the Milwaukee router, I believe, and had an external speed control that appeared to be closed loop control. I wish I could get my hands on the control box for one of these because I am sure I could make it work with my existing Milwaukee router. Not sure what was wrong with that one or why they took it off the market. That router package (prior generation) from JessEm cost $349.99 according to the Woodworker's Journal article I listed above. I don't know what this new router package will cost, but if I had to guess I would say probably $400-500 most likely.
📶RF Guy

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:03 am Roy,

Thanks. How are you liking the SpinRite one? Just curious. Yeah, I suspect that JessEm will charge quite a bit for this one, but then again they are known for quality. The thing is they had almost this exact same package a few years ago. It used the Milwaukee router, I believe, and had an external speed control that appeared to be closed loop control. I wish I could get my hands on the control box for one of these because I am sure I could make it work with my existing Milwaukee router. Not sure what was wrong with that one or why they took it off the market. That router package (prior generation) from JessEm cost $349.99 according to the Woodworker's Journal article I listed above. I don't know what this new router package will cost, but if I had to guess I would say probably $400-500 most likely.
RF Guy,

I've only used the SpinRite a couple times, but one of those was a 3/4" round over bit at full depth on walnut to make a couple 1.5" dowels for threading tests; no problem whatsoever. I still need/want to test runout, finally picked up a dial test indicator and mounting device, now just need an elusive round tuit.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

roy_okc wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:35 am That's quite the tool for the person that needs a lot of run time and more precise speed control. It's starting to bridge the gap between a woodworking router and a CNC spindle.

The Bora 3.25 HP is also listed as an ER20, at least at Amazon.

- David