What can you safely do sitting down? (on a shop stool)

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: What can you safely do sitting down? (on a shop stool)

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:54 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:09 pm There’s link spam at the end of it.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Wait...so a MODERATOR edited it so that the URL won't show on viewing the post (because I can't see it with Chrome browser), but yet the offending link is still available in the code of the post if you go to quote it? That really makes me question now why are we leaving these spam posts in place at all??? Shouldn't they be deleted entirely? This spam post copied many of my phrases verbatim and I think many of you agree that having one of me on the forum is more than enough! :D Now, I have my own chatbot spewing my posts back to me! :( :eek: :mad:

P.S. Two of my prior posts were plagiarized today by two different spammers. Looks like the spammers/chatbots have gotten more sophisticated, i.e. they change out some words for synonyms to make it appear to be different, but the message is exactly the same as what I wrote before. Link below to the other one.
viewtopic.php?p=302914#p302914
I don't think the Moderator has done anything. The link was not visible in FF either when the post was first made and it is still there. Just click the quotes button in the original post and you can see it as in HopefulSSer's screen shot.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:54 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:09 pm There’s link spam at the end of it.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Wait...so a MODERATOR edited it so that the URL won't show on viewing the post (because I can't see it with Chrome browser), but yet the offending link is still available in the code of the post if you go to quote it?
viewtopic.php?p=302914#p302914
No, the spammer put it there (and obfuscated it). I reported it, and hopefully one of our mods will come along and remove it
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:45 am
MelissaBecker wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:03 pm If you're performing any kind of woodworking, whether it's with a power source or not, you want to be in control (and feel in control). When working with non-powered woodworking tools, such as a hand saw or a hand plane, some could argue that it isn't safe to sit down. Attempting to undertake hand tool woodworking while sitting rather than standing might cause unintentional twisting and/or other strain on the back due to differences in the body mechanics required for the activity versus what you create. I still maintain that most woodworking tasks can be accomplished from a seated position provided the worker is confident and doesn't have any pain or alignment problems, and as Russ mentioned, there is a member of this forum that operates their Shopsmith machinery while seated in a wheelchair.

SPAM deleted
MODERATOR,

Can you investigate the post above and the account that posted it? It looks like a fairly sophisticated chatbot to me. It is essentially a re-ordered version of what has already been posted by myself and perhaps others above. There is SIGNIFICANT plagiarism in this post above and nothing new added to this thread.
The moderator has deleted the SPAMER's post. However the link is still in your quoted post. I have deleted the link in this post. You might want to delete or edit your post to remove the link otherwise removing the SPAMER's original post does no good. It does not show up in your quoted post but it is there and can be seen in the editor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
billbailey
Bronze Member

Post by billbailey »

nice