Shopsmith Desktop Wallpaper

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Would you like the Shopsmith Logo as desktop wallpaper?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:06 am

No
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 18

wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Shopsmith Desktop Wallpaper

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

Hi.
If anyone would like to use it, and Shopsmith admin. will allow me to upload it, I have a specially made copy of the Shopsmith logo, which is 3D with drop shadow, exactly like my Avatar, except it is screen/desktop size.
Because the Logo belongs exclusively to Shopsmith Inc. and the artwork copyright belongs exclusively to me, the only proviso is that it must only be used as a desktop background and may NOT be sold for money. This of course does not apply to Shopsmith Inc. who may use it as they wish.

Yes folks, I'm a Shopsmith nut, and I'm proud of my Shopsmith purchases, so this logo looks great on the desktop of my workshop computer!:D

Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

There ya go folks.
In Internet Explorer, right click somewhere in the center of the icon, then select Save Picture As... and save to a folder of choice.
Right click on the Desktop backdrop and select Properties, then select the Desktop tab.
Select Browse to find the file you just saved and double click on the filename.
Select Position: Center and Color: White
Click Apply and OK. You're all set.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Wow. That is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.
whiskers
Silver Member

Post by whiskers »

Alan, that's beautiful. On my Mac running Sysyem 9 I just dragged the design to my desktop. When I double click the icon it fills up my double page screen, kind of reminding me at first glance of the Batman emblem. (Not sure you want to know that. :confused: ) Thanks so much.
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

Hi guys, thanks for your kind comments.
I must admit that I'd not seen the 'Batman' logo in there (perhaps that's where Shopsmith got the idea) but I certainly see it now!
I can't claim it's "all my own work" because the logo graphic was made by a good friend of mine, who is very talented and (as he's retired) won't charge for his work. That way (he says) there's no pressure on him to finish anything! ;) He's not a woodworker, probably because he lives in an apartment, but does know quite a lot about it, from his father who was a professional with wood.
If anyone wants to see more of his work (out of pure interest) take a look at the 'posters' on: http://www.thatsentertainmentproductions.co.uk - the latest one being on the Liberace page.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
whiskers
Silver Member

Post by whiskers »

Here's another idea: How about a Shopsmith tee-short with the logo on it, both the full-front logo and the subdued upper-breast type (whatever those are called)? And for an extra buck it could come pre-impregnated with sawdust. Sounds pretty good, huh? ;)
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Probably a big "No No" for now!

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

whiskers wrote:Here's another idea: How about a Shopsmith tee-shirt with the logo on it?.............
I have done this for my personal use only and there was some space left over on the paper so I've printed some smaller ones that could be used as a large badge or put onto a baseball cap. Looks really great on a white tee shirt. When I get a moment, I'll have a photo taken and upload it.

Now, major problem!!! There is a possible problem with copyright. Remember that this is a company logo and Shopsmith Inc. own all rights to it. I can't imagine that they would object to persons making one or two tee shirts for personal use, but the problem comes when someone decides to start turning them out wholesale. Whilst it's great free advertising for Shopsmith products, it can also bring the company name into disrepute! How? Well, if the logo was transferred onto the tee shirt "off-center" or not "plumb" or maybe the printer was not up to the task, then it's a shoddy job and folks could be forgiven for thinking that Shopsmith did it.

Also remember that Shopsmith sell products such as aprons with their logo imprinted. AFAIK they don't sell tee shirts but may possibly sell baseball caps? and of course they have the absolute right to sell any of these. It would be very foolhardy for anyone to effectively make clones of these garments and I would expect Shopsmith to vigorously litigate!!!

Lastly, although the graphic was given to me, this is on the understanding that it must not be sold (on or off a garment) so again, there is no objection to folks making them exclusively for their own use.

Sorry for the 'lecture' but it's better safe than sorry! The old adage really applies here - "If in doubt - ask!" So, I suggest that it would be a good idea to "hang-fire" and perhaps Dave, our Forum Admin. can obtain a definitive ruling from Shopsmith and post it here.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
whiskers
Silver Member

Post by whiskers »

"There is a possible problem with copyright. Remember that this is a company logo and Shopsmith Inc. own all rights to it." - Alan

I'm sorry, Alan, I wasn't clear in what I said. Of course you can't print them and sell them and sell them without SS's permission. I meant for Shopsmith themselves to make them (silk screened, I hope) and sell them in their catalog. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

whiskers wrote:..............Of course you can't print them and and sell them without SS's permission. I meant for Shopsmith themselves to make them (silk screened, I hope) and sell them in their catalog. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
No need to apologise. Mine was a general warning not necessarily aimed directly at you. :)

I would hope that Shopsmith can take up the tee shirt and cap "call". Mind you, it may not be economically viable. I also have the "rights" to the WurliTzer logo (now owned by Baldwin Piano) and I am allowed to make Tee shirts (usual provisos - protect their good name etc.) but for the relatively small amount I could sell, it would put the price of each shirt around $20 - $30, which would give an extremely small return on the investment, and I doubt that folks would really want to pay that price, so I stick to making them just for myself.

So, how about it Shopsmith, wanna join the 'rag trade'?
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
bashfulbob
Gold Member

Can't view link

Post by bashfulbob »

Hi Alan
I live in the colonies and clicked on your link to your buddy's web site and got a page saying I was not authorized to view it, or something similar.:rolleyes:
wurlitzerwilly wrote:Hi guys, thanks for your kind comments.
I must admit that I'd not seen the 'Batman' logo in there (perhaps that's where Shopsmith got the idea) but I certainly see it now!
I can't claim it's "all my own work" because the logo graphic was made by a good friend of mine, who is very talented and (as he's retired) won't charge for his work. That way (he says) there's no pressure on him to finish anything! ]www.thatsentertainmentproductions.co.uk[/URL] - the latest one being on the Liberace page.
Life is what happens in between Plans.:)