Pro Planer - Feed Roller Spring Tension

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Pro Planer - Feed Roller Spring Tension

Post by dusty »

Can anyone tell me what the downward pressure exerted by the feed rollers is suppose to be?

How does one determine whether the pressure is correct or not? Lifting them by hand I believe I sense that one spring (outfeed side) is weaker than the other three.

I have previously posted about sniping. Inadequate pressure by the feed rollers would allow sniping. I need to make some sort of correction but I am not sure how.

The last boards through the planer were 6"x6' clear pine. Sniping occurred on about two inches of every plank through. Fortunately, I planned for this and corrected by cutting off the snipe. What a waste! About two board feet of unnecessary scrap.

Planer sniping

Post by Spike13 »

Hey Dustywoodworker!

Regarding snipe on planers, it's typical to have this occur. The best way to resolve this to have an 18" long sacrificial scrap board at the beginning and follow it directly behind with the selected boards. Finish the planing by having another sacrificial board (or same sacrificial board) at the end of the planing session. The boards must be butted end to end or fed side by side depending on the width when feeding. Due to the moment arm (length/weight of the boards and the pressure rollers picking up intitial contact, you can not get totally rid of sniping. This may require having a "helper" around to tail off on the planer. Note: the weight of the boards at entry and exit should have some elevation or lifting up when the board ends have passed by the knives.

This has eliminated and saved some board feet over the years for me, especially if you have a limited amount for the project. Give it a try. ;)
Life is a chip at a time, :D
Spike13