Planer knives adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagspoo
Gold Member

Re: Planer knives adjustment

Post by eagspoo »

dusty wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:34 pm There may be another option. Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby you could be of assistance.
I'm in SLC but honestly option b had enough upside to where I just went ahead and placed the order. I like the idea of being able to do the sharpening myself in the future and everyone here is saying that the sharpening jig from shopsmith works great.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

eagspoo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:53 pm
dusty wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:34 pm There may be another option. Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby you could be of assistance.
I'm in SLC but honestly option b had enough upside to where I just went ahead and placed the order. I like the idea of being able to do the sharpening myself in the future and everyone here is saying that the sharpening jig from shopsmith works great.
FWIW, I am in Hooper just west of Ogden.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

eagspoo,

I believe you will be happy using the Jointer/Planer Knife Sharpener. I have used it many times. Not that I dull my Jointer and Planer Knives that much but as many of you know I restore Shopsmith tools as a hobby. I have sharpened many Jointer Knife sets from both the 4" Jointer's and the old 2-1/2" Jointer Heads from the 40's and 50's. The Sharpener work like a breeze. For Jointer Knives you can sharpen the set all at once. Planer Knives take a bit more work doing each Knife separately. There is the bonus of very little down time since you can sharpen the knives and put them back in quickly instead of waiting days.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.