Planer motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Badwolf
Bronze Member

Planer motor

Post by Badwolf »

I have a mounted planer for my mk v. And I've noticed that the roller motor is getting a lot hotter than I think it should be. After about 10 minutes of use it's too hot to keep my hand on for more than a couple of seconds. Is there a regular service I can do?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Planer motor

Post by JPG »

Slow the feed rate.

Get a fan.

Turn up the AC.

Continuous use is not likely one of the initial design criteria. That said uncomfortable for a couple of seconds is not terribly hot.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Planer motor

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I have the Pro Planer, and have never noticed the feed motor getting hot, even when planing for an hour or two straight.

Is your table waxed? Are your knives sharp? If the answer to either is “no”, your feed motor will be working a lot harder than it needs to be.

But I do agree with JPG — a motor can handle much higher temperatures than your skin can.