SC Johnson Paste Wax

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

SC Johnson Paste Wax

Post by KCollins »

Okay... Yes... I'm late to realizing the SCJ quit making it's paste wax over a year ago... God you fall off the face of the earth for a year and everything goes all to hell. LOL...

Anyway... with that said I did a search and didn't find much on the topic so I'm going to ask it in an official thread.

What is everyone using now as an alternative to SCJ? What is working, what is not? What is the now considered the new paste wax to use on our SS?

Kevin
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: SC Johnson Paste Wax

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:17 pm Okay... Yes... I'm late to realizing the SCJ quit making it's paste wax over a year ago... God you fall off the face of the earth for a year and everything goes all to hell. LOL...

Anyway... with that said I did a search and didn't find much on the topic so I'm going to ask it in an official thread.

What is everyone using now as an alternative to SCJ? What is working, what is not? What is the now considered the new paste wax to use on our SS?

Kevin
Kevin,

You are not the only one. Same thing happened to me until I saw a forum thread recently about it. Honestly I don't know what I will use when I run out of my current can of Johnson's Paste Wax. I know A LOT of woodworkers swear by Renaissance brand paste wax, but it is VERY expensive for what you get. I would really like to know what other brands others on this forum will use after their supply of Johnson's paste wax dries up...

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Micr ... B001DSZWEM
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Before you give up, check all available ACE stores. I have always found it there.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

dusty wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:47 pm Before you give up, check all available ACE stores. I have always found it there.
Just called Ace.... they are now carrying Trewax and no longer can get SCJ... no surprise there. But thanks for the idea Dusty. Has anyone used Trewax? It says in the description on Amazon that it's skid resistant. Not sure you want that. thoughts anyone?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Shopsmith are putting Minwax in their service kits
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... elpkit.htm
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Decades ago I bought a can of wax from Shopsmith. At that time they supplied me with Trewax brand. There is no reason to worry about not having Johnson's brand. The Trewax is equal to Johnson's or Shopsmith wouldn't have supplied it at one time. I've used it for at least 30 years with great results.

viewtopic.php?t=9746&hilit=trewax
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

When I got my first Shopsmith, back around 2011, Johnsons had already stopped selling the paste wax in Canada.
I did find Trewax, and have been using that successfully. I think it may be a bit harder mix, I have dropped the can and shattered the wax a few times, heat the can up in a pot with some water in the bottom and it will melt back together. Next time that happens I think I will add a bit of solvent to make it softer in the can.
Minwax or Briwax should work too.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

all good stuff guys. thanks a lot.

Kevin
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I know originally SS recommended JPW and sold it. I know the opinion of most here is that JPW is the only thing to use. However, I don't think SS has sold JPW for a long time. When I bought my 510 new in 1994 it came from SS with a can of Treewax which I still have and use. Now SS is selling Minwax. Back years ago when SS recommended and sold JPW maybe it was the only paste wax readily available at the time. There are alternatives available now so it is not the end of the world.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'thing' about Johnson's 'original' paste floor wax was it did NOT include any anti skid additives. Currently that 'feature' is frowned upon for floor wax.

So IMHO minwax paste finishing wax may be the preferred alternative.

Trewax smells nicer though. Yes it seems to be 'firmer 'in the can(although that may be because mine is 'inherited' and of unknown date of creation and almost gone).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange