SC Johnson Paste Wax

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: SC Johnson Paste Wax

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:41 am
JPG wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:46 am Trewax smells better!
Like trees, I'll bet?
:)
No, it just is more pleasant.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

That's my problem... I love the smell of JPW... Don't know why but I love it. Makes waxing the SS even more fun.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

JPW probably smells better than model glue that we worked with as kids when we built model cars.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:53 am That's my problem... I love the smell of JPW... Don't know why but I love it. Makes waxing the SS even more fun.
Kevin,

Yeah, I am the same. I like the initial smell of JPW when I first open the can...can't help not to because it is solvent inhalation euphoria (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ne ... e/euphoria). Part of why I decided to buy another can of JPW online before it is no longer available anywhere. However, after the initial smell hits, then I remember that I am inhaling a strong solvent (and it isn't good for me). Having already burned out half of my sinuses over the years using woodworking finishes, I try to be more careful with exposure to it now, which is why I didn't want to heat up the "bad" can of JPW in the house/shop.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

"It seems to me that Johnson's wax isn't worth the cost or hassle of keeping it in usable condition."

I don't understand that statement. I bought a can of JPW in 1956 and finally ran out about 10-15 years ago. It was always good. The replacement is still the same. Just kept it in an environment where it didn't freeze or get above 80.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

db5 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:41 am "It seems to me that Johnson's wax isn't worth the cost or hassle of keeping it in usable condition."

I don't understand that statement. I bought a can of JPW in 1956 and finally ran out about 10-15 years ago. It was always good. The replacement is still the same. Just kept it in an environment where it didn't freeze or get above 80.
Same here...but mine has actually been in garages that get up to at least 100°F in the summertime. Never separated, though I know it is possible and could happen to anyone.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Sorry, it has taken me so long to do this experiment and report back, but it has been an unusually cold and wet past few months in the AZ desert thanks to La Niña. Finally got some warm, sunny weather to attempt this outside. As a reminder, I bought a can of SCJ paste wax from an online retailer, but on arrival it was a runny, lumpy mess similar in consistency to applesauce with a good portion of it leaking out during shipping. This is what I started with:
IMG_7886.jpg
IMG_7886.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Essentially the paste wax had fallen out of suspension as I believe it is an emulsion. The application of shear should allow it to reform the emulsion and a HW store paint mixer (shaker) would be ideal for this, but I don't have one. I thought I would try to use a paint stirrer chucked in my cordless drill so I did this for only 1 minute. I have never really liked the tin cans as they are hard to open and this one had already leaked so I wasn't sure it would seal air tight anymore so after mixing I transferred the mixture to an HDPE container. I use these HDPE containers a lot in my shop for mixing up custom wood finishes, particularly the strongly caustic ones like I use for aging cherry. The result turned out well, or so I thought at first. All lumps were gone and I had a smooth consistent finish that seemed to set nicely. I left it overnight and checked it the next day, even turning it upside down and it didn't move one bit. However, when I tried to scoop some out, it was still too runny for my taste and not matching what I was used to for SJC paste wax. Perhaps if I had continued for longer than 1 minute, it might have fully emulsified. Anyway, here is what it looked like after the paint stirrer method:
IMG_7887.jpg
IMG_7887.jpg (70.8 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
The paint stirrer method is messy so I didn't really want to revisit it again to try a longer process time...So, I decided to try the methods (shear through the application of heat) that Erik and Robert used successfully, but unfortunately I did it a more risky way, i.e. don't try this at home kids. :) IF I had an old toaster oven not used for food anymore that would have been ideal, but I don't. What I do have is a camping stove. With an abundance of caution and a fire extinguisher nearby, I turned on my camp stove to low. It was hard to keep it on low without the wind blowing it out, but I persevered and timed 5 minutes for the procedure. Periodically I stirred the mixture and hoped for the best. This is what my setup looked like and yes I was well away from any potential flammable objects (just in case):
IMG_7898.jpg
IMG_7898.jpg (110.05 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
IMG_7899.jpg
IMG_7899.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
And we're cooking with gas...liquefication in progress. :D
IMG_7900.jpg
IMG_7900.jpg (103.45 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
This is what it looked like after 5 minutes and pouring it back into the HDPE. Note it did start to smoke a few times and I had to turn the burner down more. Jetboil camping stoves are known for boiling water very fast, but not known for going slow. ;)
IMG_7902.jpg
IMG_7902.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
About an hour later it seemed to have cooled and set nicely so I decided to check it. Below is what it looks like now. Sorry, the sun was setting so not full light on it to see but it looks more like the original SJC paste wax now. I tested it and the consistency is smooth but thicker and firm as one would expect of SJC paste wax typically. Going to call this one done at this point and move on. I especially like it in the new HDPE container and will enjoy using it more as it will be easy to screw/unscrew the lid to use it. Fortunately it didn't flash so I didn't have a fire to put out, but at least I was outdoors and prepared just in case. Anyway, posting this to confirm what others have reported for dealing with applesauce paste wax. I might move all of my paste wax into HDPE containers going forward so this experiment was definitely fruitful for me.

I appreciate all the feedback leading up to this.
IMG_7903.jpg
IMG_7903.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
📶RF Guy

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Does it say on the can where it was made?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Robert,

Yeah, it was made in Mexico.
📶RF Guy

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I had an idea, but that sort of kills it. My old (years) wax is made in Mexico.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory